Shore diving in New Bedford?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtrain01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there any kind of shore diving or really small boat diving in the new bedford area?

Several times I've seen guys lobstering right next to shore at Ft. Phoenix in Fairhaven. Mostly in the Ft Flats and the foul ground just to east.

A few years ago, before the PCB-related restrictions, I would frequently see (commercial??) divers out on Egg Island (across the channel and a bit NNW from Butler Flat's lighthouse). It's pretty much a mud bottom there so IMO there's not much reason to dive unless you are gathering quohogs.

My local diving has been limited to checking and maintaining moorings, and since my own mooring is shallow I don't even bother with scuba for it.

You might be able to get some info from http://www.bobseaski.com/bobseaski/
Located in the mini stripmall on the east end of the Route 6 New Bedford-Fairhaven bridge, they also do airfills for $6-7.

Thanks, a buddy of mine wants to drive down and drop a few of his pots in that area so I figured while he is paying for fuel I might as well get wet too. I was just looking for a few places in the area to lobster legally.

Thanks, a buddy of mine wants to drive down and drop a few of his pots in that area ......
He needs to check the regulations closely. Since its been a couple of years since I've had to dodge lobster pots while sailing around the bay in my 14' sailboat, I'm pretty sure there is a PCB related closure of the entire New Bedford bay. IIRC, the dividing line is Ricketson's Point in Dartmouth over to Wilber Pt at the end of Sconticut Neck in Fairhaven

Back
Top Bottom