Shore Diving in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjchang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aloha,

We (five) will be visiting Maui from September 3 to 11. Four of us are avid shore divers from So. Cal. (Unfortunately So Cal shore dives have not been good for almost two years.) We really want to do a decent amount of shore dives in Maui if possible. We will have all our gears except tank and weight. Any recommendations, both general and specific, would be very appreciated. BTW, we will stay in Kihei. Thank you. Aloha

Jay Chang

Join Maui Mantas: Facebook Groups. Lots of great shore diving all over, and the Mantas are a great welcoming bunch. I didn't get to dive Ahihi-Kinau National Natural Area reserve as I was there in winter.

Was there in May, planned on a bunch of shore dives but only got one in :^, but it was excellent. Mala Wharf is everything they say and more. Much better than the boat dives we mortgaged our children for

Other than that we've done in the past
-Ulua - Easy, great for night dives
-Makena Landing / 5 Caves
-Wailea point

Ditto on the maui mantas FB page

Just be careful about parking for night dives. I did a night dive at the Airport Beach (Kahekili) where they did lock the gates. Fortunately I paid attention to the sign and parked right outside of it (though that was hotel parking, but this was February and hardly anyone was there). I wouldn't park there right now without going into the hotel to speak to the manager and ask them for permission to do so. If I don't get it (and most likely not due to the number of people there now), I'd figure something else out. Last thing you want is to finish a dive and see that your rental was towed.

There's literally a shore diving guide for Maui that has excellent descriptions and directions - as well as skill level suggested. It covers the entire island. Chuck Thorne is the author. Worth the buy to plan your trip in my opinion. I second (3rd, 4th and 5th) suggestions to check out Mala Wharf and Makena Landing. Honolua Bay is also fantastic. Good luck with your plans. You will love diving Maui. If you decide to treat yourself to a boat trip I HIGHLY recommend Mike Severn's in Kihei.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom