Shore Diving in Delray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtns2sea

Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Friend wants to go in on buying a condo in Delray Beach area. She likes that choice for the tennis opportunities. For me the decision is all about diving.

Not finding much info about shore diving from Delray Beach area. Can anyone speak to that? I see info on drift diving around there, but I'm wondering if I could just walk out from the condo and get to a few nice underwater sites. I could see staying several weeks a year and getting out often if it's close and colorful enough.

Thanks in advance,
Susana

Hey y'all,

Friend wants to go in on buying a condo in Delray Beach area. She likes that choice for the tennis opportunities. For me the decision is all about diving.

Not finding much info about shore diving from Delray Beach area. Can anyone speak to that? I see info on drift diving around there, but I'm wondering if I could just walk out from the condo and get to a few nice underwater sites. I could see staying several weeks a year and getting out often if it's close and colorful enough.

Thanks in advance,
Susana

I've never heard of any shore dives in Delray. There is fantastic drift diving out of Boynton Beach Marina for sure just a tad bit north of Delray. Perhaps others will chime in. My shore diving experience has been limited to Blue Heron Bridge. There is shore diving in LBTS, Pompano, and Boca for sure and again further north off of Singer Island but I've never heard of anyone shore diving off of Delray Beach.

I'm with @JimBlay

Delray is very nice, nicer than Boynton Beach/Lantana. It is only about 5 mi south of Boynton Beach, 20 miles to West Palm, and 35 miles to Jupiter. Great boat diving out of those three and the BHB is in West Palm/Riviera Beach. I haven't dived south of Boynton for many years and the only shore diving I do is at the BHB. I've had a townhouse just north of BB, in Hypoluxo, for nearly 10 years now :)

I think the closest shore dive you'll have will be Deerfield, by the county divide with Broward. Not sure is something to write reports about it, but all the times I've gone to the area for other reasons I see divers there.
Regardless of the quality of diving there, it isn't a "walk off your condo and dive" distance from Delray.

Find a condo with dock space so you can skip the shore activities and go directly to the diving part.

Lived in Delray until very recently. No shore diving there. I agree, a short trip to Boynton for some nice reefs. Delray used to be quaint. Now it is over taken by loud tourists and big box stores. Sad.

Your main choices for shore diving in the area are to either go 30 minutes North to the Blue Heron Bridge or about 40 minutes South to Lauderdale by the Sea.

Out from Linton Blvd about a 5 minute was the remains of the "Delray Wreck" I think it is pretty much gone now. Maybe some scraps from the boilers still remain. Whatever is there you can see in just a few minutes. Not worth lugging gear around. A snorkel will do the job

Thanks, everyone. Great info! We'll see what happens with the condo. If it's a good enough deal, might be worth driving 30 mins north or 40 mins south or snorkeling out at the "wreck" (thanks for the video, tekkydiver!).

I would recommend getting a boat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom