Curaçao Shore Diving Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Curaçao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!

Curaçao Shore Diving Guide​

In a sport where you often must charter a boat to see the best of the underwater world, Curaçao is a unique shore diving haven for divers looking to take the advantage of a more leisurely schedule. So, if you are looking for an alternative to popular shore diving destinations like Bonaire, then you should consider diving in Curaçao.

Why? Read on to start planning your next Caribbean shore diving adventure in Curaçao!

That's nice. One thing I hope to see someday is a dive site listing, in order (likely from West Punt on down eastward) that lists whether each shore diving site is 'primitive' vs. with an onsite provider.

When I say 'primitive,' I'm using the term as it's often used in the U.S. for camp sites; basically, like many Bonaire sites, where it's you, a stretch of iron shore and coral rubble to park on and walk across, and the ocean. You take tanks and your hear in the bed of your pickup truck, pull off, park, gear up and walk in.

When I say 'with an onsite provider,' I'm referring to sites where there's a dive shop (and often other amenities, like a food vendor), and from what I'm told it's customary to rent tanks from that vendor to dive at that site. To what extent this is expected, whether it's ever obligatory, I don't know, but from trip reports I got the impression it's a 'thing' on Curacao. But I may be wrong about that.

Even if taking your own tanks from an unlimited shore diving package rather than paying more to rent on site (and probably having to fill out paper work with the onsite op.) doesn't matter to you (it does to me), some people like sites with amenities like rinse tanks, showers, a restaurant, etc...

It would be useful in trip planning to know which sites are which. And if any sites have onsite op.s it's customary to use, a list of which op. that is would also be handy.

Curaçao Shore Diving Sites​

Curacao is laid out in a way that makes the southern side of the island almost perfect for shore diving. Thanks to the geographic location, the winds in the area come from the Northeast, meaning that almost the entire southern shoreline is protected from heavy sea winds. The lack of strong winds means that divers can get their feet wet almost any time of year, and the diving from shore is calmer and safer.

On the south side of the island, the fringing reef in most cases is within 60-feet (20m) from the shoreline which leads to incredible drop offs that allow divers to venture a little bit deeper into the aquatic wonderland. Of the seventy popular dive sites the island has available, over half of them are reachable from the shore.

NOW... dive into the newly updated Curaçao Shore Diving Guide to learn more!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom