Shore Diving - Ft. Lauderdale Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wondering if we can revive this thread. I am traveling down to the FtL area in March and would like some current info on shore dives. I have Ned DeLoach's book, but it does not always have the most up to date or comprehensive info.

thanks
steven

plus one on GCS. I know of no better resource for shorediving in Broward.

Essentially there is a reef that runs the length of the coastline.

Some of my favorite beach dives - north to south:

Pompano ledge...if you're up to swimming about 1/3 mile out the mooring buoys, this gives you the Copenhagen wreck and further down along the ledge you'll run into the Hall of Fame reef.

If you enter at the Datura portal just south of Commercial Blvd, you can run up or down along the 2nd reefline (about 50 yards past the end of the pier, but don't get too close to the pier itself) and run south all the way to Hibiscus or north up to Washingtonia. If you swim further out you will hit a continuation of the same ledge as in Pompano...also marked by buoys.

Further south are the Dania Erojacks which naturally follow out to a ledge about twice as far out as the length of the pier that you can follow south past the SeaTech school and on down to Perry Street, which has huge rocks and boulders to swim among.

In Hollywood, you can go straight out from the bandshell at Johnson Street about 50 yards or so and pick up a dive called the Yellow Brick Road...a worthwhile dive any time. Parking has changed there and is a pain, so perhaps someone else here can give advice on best options.

Northerly or southernly current ripping parallel to the beach? Park two cars on different streets and drift dive. Want to see the same reefs at a different light? Enter at twilight and turn them in to night dives. Weather completely blown out and viz sucks? Drive an hour up to Blue Heron Bridge and muck beach dive there...though hit it from about an hour prior to an hour after high tide.

There's plenty to do for a week of shore diving. My favorite tip to travelers is buy a 10 fill air card at GCS and pass it around your group to take advantage of the bulk discount. After that your biggest expense will be feeding the parking meters...

enjoy

Last edited:
Lots of beach diving here in Broward. And if you get blown out with the wind, Blue Heron Bridge is the go to...

And if you're willing to drive 1.5 hrs, there's WPB/Jupiter to the north.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone. Lots of good info to follow up on so I am sure I will be able to find some good diving somewhere. I am very familiar with the Blue Heron; I dove it multiple times last year when we had a project in the area that brought me down several times over the summer. It would be a good "go to" dive, but I do hope to get some experience in a few new places.
On another note, I know of few places/pursuits where I can consistently count on the others I dont know to provide good advice. I travel a lot in my work and frequently use this board to get advice on dive spots in the areas I will be visiting. It never fails that I will get several good responses and have on occasion even set up some dives.
Thanks to all of you.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom