Shore diving Cozumel- Who has healthiest house reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a small reef just north of the Atlantis submarine pier across the road from Casa Del Mar. Lots of small coral heads, sea fans, lots of juvenile fish. Only about 15 to 20 feet deep but nice (by Cozumel shore dive standards).

There is a small reef just north of the Atlantis submarine pier across the road from Casa Del Mar. Lots of small coral heads, sea fans, lots of juvenile fish. Only about 15 to 20 feet deep but nice (by Cozumel shore dive standards).
Heads. I wouldn't call those reefs. I once saw a banded shrimp working in partnership with a moray eel hiding in a tire there too, and hated that I did not take my camera - but there's not much reef there.

Is it possible (or recommended) to shore dive from Scuba Club to Blue Angel and back? I'll be staying at SCC, but have read about good shore diving at BA also. They only look to be 600 - 800 metres apart on a map, and in <30' that sounds doable on an 80cuf tank.

Thanks,
C.

Is it possible (or recommended) to shore dive from Scuba Club to Blue Angel and back? I'll be staying at SCC, but have read about good shore diving at BA also. They only look to be 600 - 800 metres apart on a map, and in <30' that sounds doable on an 80cuf tank.

Thanks,
C.
Maybe, if the currents & eddies are favorable and you're good on air. If not, get out and hail a cab. The nicer ones may not want to pick you up, but another will. You could walk it with tank & gear, but not me.

Maybe, if the currents & eddies are favorable and you're good on air. If not, get out and hail a cab. The nicer ones may not want to pick you up, but another will. You could walk it with tank & gear, but not me.

What's the Cozumel protocol about showing up and jumping off someone's dock? Might walk (or taxi) the 1,000 metres between BA and SCC and want to shore dive off BA's front yard. I suppose it'd be better to rent a tank from BA and tell them I want to shore dive in front of their place than to show up in full gear with SCC tank and just give 'er, eh?

C.

I don't see why not. I have dived from Blue Angel to Papa Hogs (near Villa Blanca Hotel) and back on aluminum 80s many times and with lots of gas to spare. It is only about 15-20 feet deep there. Measure the distance from BA to Villa Blanca and if it is similar to BA-Scuba Cub, I would say it is doable.

Thanks,
C.

SCC to BA is at least twice the distance BA is to Villablanca / Papa Hog's and I'd say it's even further than that. Also keep in mind that there's a ferry pier in the way now.

Thanks,
C.
I have rented a tank from BA and drifted to SCC, but I wouldn't want to swim that far the other way against the current. It's probably a moot point now, anyway, since there is a ferry dock between them that big boats use. I wouldn't want to be diving there when one of those suckers pulls in.

SCC is gate protected and you can't get in there from the street if you aren't staying there. No one said anything to me when I climbed out of the water there and walked out, though.

Between BA and SCC I prefer the shore diving at BA. The stingray pen next door attracts more life. However, given the OP's preference for a shore dive experience to shake down his camera prior to a Bonaire trip, I would suggest just hopping over to Lauderdale by the Sea, FL and do his shore dives near the Commercial Street pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom