shore dives around Ventura Beach (North Los Angeles)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJ Divermaster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a walk in site for my first dive in the Pacific. I am only able to get 2-3 hours total dive time per day so do not have time for a boat dive. I'll be staying near Ventura so looking for someone who has some ideas as to where I should go. Will be in LA the 8th and 9th. I am a dive master in NJ and will be with a rusty 2-star diver who lives in Cal. All information is appreciated. Thanks

Two sites come to mind right away are Nicolas Canyon & Leo Carillo. Leo is the easiest in & out & walk back to the car if the conditions are right.

John

---------- Post Merged at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Refugio up in Santa Barbara is pretty easy.

John

Deer Creek is even closer than Leo and Nicholas, and not terribly difficult. Like most shore dives, it's highly dependent on conditions

La Jenelle park and the Hueneme underwater canyon is closer still, and was recently highlighted in California Diving News. The book A Diver's Guide to Southern California's Best Beach Dives is a good reference and should be available in most local dive shops

Deercreek is a great dive spot (hence our moniker). We dive that spot a lot. But I would probablly have to recommend Leo Carillo over Deercreek for a first time diver to our wonderful waters because.....Deercreek is parking on a cliff top along side of the road-Leo C is a 30 yard walk along sand from your (12$ paid for parking spot), Deercreek has a long walk down steps, Leo does not. Leo C has bathrooms and showers, Deercreek does not, and Leo C often has a little better viz when Deercreek is milked out.
So looking back over what I wrote, why do we like Deercreek better? memories that can't be replaced of past dives. That said, go with Leo Carillo....then go to Deercreek.

Check the swell forecast before you go to Leo Carillo. I have not had good luck there. Many days it is better for surfers. Leo C. is a very easy dive and close to the water assuming you pay to enter and park, but the surf can frequently be hard for even advanced divers with little beach entry experience IMHO.

It's likely too far for ya'll but a drive to Refugio Beach is never a waste as it has all that Leo Carillo has to offer plus you will never get blown out of a dive there as it is always about 1ft or less surf wise. That's where I take new divers when I want to intro them to SoCal beach diving.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone who has posted so far. I've looked up all that have been recommended map wise and all I can find about these locations. To be honest, I think I'm more afraid of the driving in and around LA then the dive sites. As a NJ diver, I'm used to the pounding surf and surge and long walks to the shore, but have never seen kelp or seals and really excited about diving Cal, 2 short dives are better then none.

Deercreek and Leo Carillo both have excellent kelp diving and we usually have a seal or 2 following us around on about 40% of our dives in both spots. Have a great dive!

Thanks everyone who has posted so far. I've looked up all that have been recommended map wise and all I can find about these locations. To be honest, I think I'm more afraid of the driving in and around LA then the dive sites. As a NJ diver, I'm used to the pounding surf and surge and long walks to the shore, but have never seen kelp or seals and really excited about diving Cal, 2 short dives are better then none.

I was more worried about your "rusty diver" unless I perhaps misinterpreted what you meant by that? :) All that said, I am from the east coast and did over 200 shore dives from South Jersey up to Maine and surf there isn't the same as surf here. I was surfing last month at the same spot I dive Leo Carillo and the shore break was not only VERY shallow but also was walling up 6+ feet. Be careful and have fun!

All that said, if you venture into Palos Verdes you can do Old Marine Land. It's a long walk to the water but it's all paved and level. Old Marine Land is IMHO the BEST shore dive from Santa Barbara to the top of the OC.

ShoreDiving.com - Your Shore Diving and Snorkeling Web Community! is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom