Shore dive around Pompano 6th Street?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jet, I believe the two parking areas are 8th street and 12th street and there is actually less parking
than at LBTS. These are actually pretty small streets and maybe four metered spots at each location.
I don't think there is anything at 6th street but not sure. I've not been out to the second reef at this location
but the first structure actually comes in even closer than it does at LBTS. As an alternate to LBTS you can
also try Vista Park which is just south of Oakland.

Jet, I believe the two parking areas are 8th street and 12th street and there is actually less parking
than at LBTS. These are actually pretty small streets and maybe four metered spots at each location.
I don't think there is anything at 6th street but not sure. I've not been out to the second reef at this location
but the first structure actually comes in even closer than it does at LBTS. As an alternate to LBTS you can

Thanks Kevin. I am hearing from fellow sea turtle volunteers who see divers out there vs. divers themselves. I will investigate further and report back to the group. This may be a best kept little secret or wild [-]goose[/-] fish chase.

jet

not tried vista yet myself - lbts can park at Datura or Hibiscus (worst case would be to drop your gear with a buddy and go park on commercial or at the pier)
8th is good but very limited parking. not sure what Vis is going to be right now in any of the spots due to the weather. Right now the depression is at 50% chance to become something more.

i can't dive until maybe end of the month due to pneumonia :(

Done this dive in pompano probably 50 times from different streets in pompano...I just go from atlantic ave and turn south. Pick a street, the diving is all similar from any of those streets. It's a much nicer ledge and dive site than LBTS in my opinion..also a lot better for lobstering and spearing..or just looking. It is a much longer swim though, you have to swim out to the white buoys, about a 30 min surface swim. We swim out on the surface and then swim back under water.

I've done Vista Park many times. it's an easy dive with a short surface swim. you are able to park really close to the sand.
it's not a bad dive, but it's more about seeing the plants....not a ton of fish here.
Vista Park | South Florida Scuba Diving | Scuba Dive South Florida | SinkFloridaSink.com

Thanks all. I'm researching for me, of course, but it was prompted by two friends coming down to visit the last week of July. I'm looking for shore diving options close to home. So I have plenty of time to gather info.

And I would love to hear what others think as you dive this area. I'll try to get out, too, when I can find the time.

I would check with Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup Their members collectively have more shore diving experience in the Pompano/Lauderdale By The Sea area, than anywhere else that I am aware of. As an added bonus you can make new friends locally and possibly even dive buddies. Highly recommended for what you are looking for.

I've done 8th and 12th. Like what others have mentioned, pick a place to park and go from there. Parking is very limited though. The buoys are very nice, but I've had very nice dives just going out to the first reef. Very pretty. When you want to scope it out? :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom