Shooting with a Snoot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
So in another thread it was mentioned I might want to try a snoot, well Bvanant might be clairvoyant. These were done with a Inon Z240, their snoot, and the "medium" aperture nozzle (??). I was hand holding the snoot, while hovering so it was very challenging. To use a smaller aperture snoot I think you would have to go with a Tripod mounted one. I struggle with this as it goes against my "no more than one finger on the reef" rule. But here a few samples of a first try.

/]

http://
/]/]/]/]

I like the demon stinger fish and the first anemone a lot. Keep up the good work. Check out the snoot tutorial on uwphotographyguide.com, many of the pics in that article were mine.
Bill

Your snoot photos are great but i have to ask you this as I entertained using one but ruled it out.

Is it not a lot easier to get the same or similar results in post-processing with Photoshop?

Without a doubt I think you can get much of the same effects in post processing. But there is something to be said for "capturing the moment" (flamboyant cuttle eating). Without a doubt it will be the way I go vs. risking damage to the subject matter or environment. For all of those who say "oh it is ok to lay down in the sand", mud, rocks, etc.... I would have never seen this little guy if the guide had not pointed it out.

/]

with the snoot, you are limiting the light output in a 3D space, but in PS, you are doing it in a 2D space from the perspective of the camera.

Shots like the cuttlefish could be done in PS due to the snoot's lighting the subject in a circular outline, but for picture like the scorpionfish, it would not be so easy

Your snoot photos are great but i have to ask you this as I entertained using one but ruled it out.

Is it not a lot easier to get the same or similar results in post-processing with Photoshop?

I think most people take photos because they enjoy the art / challenge of taking a photo themselves. Most, but certainly not all. - Scott

I think most people take photos because they enjoy the art / challenge of taking a photo themselves. Most, but certainly not all. - Scott

And many of us really suck at Photoshop.

Bill

That's definitely true. I keep hearing people say this could be fixed in photoshop or that could be fixed in photoshop. I could also grab a picture off the web and say I took it, it obviously could fool everyone but there is no satisfaction in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom