Shocking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Truly shocking - thanks for posting that. A photo is truly worth a thousand words.

Truly shocking - thanks for posting that. A photo is truly worth a thousand words.

I had always thought shark fishing was done by individuals wanting to make a easy living but the photo seems to suggest (at least to me) it is been done on a commercial scale

I had always thought shark fishing was done by individuals wanting to make a easy living but the photo seems to suggest (at least to me) it is been done on a commercial scale
It could still be done by small timers on small boats and aggregated by a shoreside processing plant or at-sea mothership.

The scale of a processing plant needs to be viewed in context with other large-scale fishing operations which are also warehouse sized and also bloody. To me the shark industry is sad because the ingredient is basically tasteless and is used mainly for the texture and as a thickener. Coupled with the poor product recovery compared to the mass of the whole animal, and it reminds me of the 80s where commercial fisheries would strip roe from female fish (usually flatfish) and discard all the males and the eviscerated females.

What a waste.

images

is what we are talking about. So, in the end, a thickener for what is often chicken broth with various spices, but the bottom line for shark fin soup is not the flavor - it is conspicuous consumption so you can get bragging rights by showing off you can afford shark fin soup for your party, a sad commentary about humans as well as sharks.

We can only hope some communities will see the long-term benefit of protecting sharks to benefit fish health and bring money from divers who wish to encounter these majestic beings.

Back
Top Bottom