Shock Cord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JC

Reaction score
Any suggestions for joining ends of shock cord together to form closed loops . I guess heat sealing is best, but, don't have the facility here .

Hello Shock Cord, I need more information on your question, What type of equipment are you using it for?, and what type of material is your shock cord made of (Dacron, Nylon,Etc...???) I look forward to you reply. I am sure I can provide you an avenue of completing your task.

Thanks Rainreg. Using nylon to male a closed loop to secure dsmb nice and close on D ring. I use webbing with slide releases to connect reels, dsmb and stuff to BC. Just haveing a hassle with making the closed loop secure.
Thanks again,
John

Hello john, I understand the difficulty in using the heat sealing method but at this time I am not aware of more convient methods of ensureing the attachement / mend, their are however other means of completing your task but they require special equipment, one way is to have the ends RF welded, this method takes a well trained indivual and the specialized equipment to ensure proper adhesion. this can be a costly process, but the results are clean and quite neat in apperance, and strong. I hope this answers your question if You need more infomation I can put you in touch with the right people.

I just wanted to give you the script on "RF" welding, it stands for radio frequency welding, this process is used on several types of polymer materials and produces a very strong adhesion.

Thanks Rainreg,
Really much appreciated. What have you got on it? It looked easy option initially just to secure dcmb tight on D ring as I tend to use a Diverite wing these days with no pockets and I hate any dangling stuff. Bad enough when octopus comes loose.
Thanks again,
John

Hello JC, I have been in contact with several companies that provide "RF" welding services, but they do jobs in bulk / quantity, I am pursuing two contacts that may be able to provide you with what you need as far as them doing the work for a fair market price, I will keep you posted as I get more info.

Many thanks Rainreg. Much appreciated. Being a Scotsman, I'm used to opening my sporran with great care lest th pennies dissipate too quickly :)}

Hello JC, after pursuing the contacts that I have the bottom line is that at even fair market price the job would be expensive to the average diver, very inexpensive to companies but reguardless expensive for you and I (@$200.00 - @300.00 U.S. Dollars Per job) this is because of set-up time and craftsman time. I wish I could bring better news but well maybe the price will come down in the near future. take care and dive safe.

mike

Back
Top Bottom