Shock Cord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtpwils

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Tobin,
I have two questions on the shock cord: First, so that I don't make the shock cords too tight and risk cracking the holder do you have a reccomendation on how much stretch I should figure on. I thought I could measure the circumference where it will attach and deduct X%, just wasn't sure what the X should be.

Second, I was wondering what's the best way to protect the ends of the shock cord after cutting? I was thinking some heat, or just a fine trim, followed by a dip or two in shellac or polyurethane.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Tobin,
I have two questions on the shock cord: First, so that I don't make the shock cords too tight and risk cracking the holder do you have a reccomendation on how much stretch I should figure on. I thought I could measure the circumference where it will attach and deduct X%, just wasn't sure what the X should be.

Second, I was wondering what's the best way to protect the ends of the shock cord after cutting? I was thinking some heat, or just a fine trim, followed by a dip or two in shellac or polyurethane.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

There is really no way for me to quantify how much stretch is proper. Just tight enough so the instrument remains secure on your arm at depth. Start on the long side, as it is easier to make them shorter if they are too loose.

Ends? I cut mine with an electric hot knife and roll the ends closed while the nylon cover is still soft. Smells really bad.

Alternatively cut with a sharp knife or scissors, then heat with a lighter.

Tobin

Ok, thanks. I used a home made hot knife to cut the webbing for my harness - a wide putty knife with torch on the back. Worked great - cut and sealed all at once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom