Shipwreck Remains Wash Ashore- Ludington, MI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, they're usually left in place and disintegrate over a few months. Because they are considered "protected", it is unlawful to remove them. Unless the DNR decides it's important it is difficult to near impossible to obtain permission to remove them, even for conservation and museum display.

Very interesting, thanks for the information.

Interesting-

Would be neat to stumble on something like this walking the beach.

I wonder if they will try and remove it or preserve it in some way?

Shipwreck remains wash ashore in West Michigan, possibly dating back to 1850s

Very interesting. My husband's uncle died on Lake Michigan years ago during a yacht race. His boat was lost with all hands in a sudden freak storm and his body washed up on a beach a month later. I sometimes wonder if any artifacts still remain from that terrible event.

Oh wow, that is terrible. Was it the Mackinac Race?

Growing up on/around the great lakes, it is easy for me to forget how dangerous they are. Especially before we had the modern navigation equipment we have today.

I just read of a kayaker having to be rescued by coast guard this past week- very scary.

Oh wow, that is terrible. Was it the Mackinac Race?

Growing up on/around the great lakes, it is easy for me to forget how dangerous they are. Especially before we had the modern navigation equipment we have today.

I just read of a kayaker having to be rescued by coast guard this past week- very scary.

It was a race sponsored by the Columbia Yacht Club in Chicago.

Yes, I think that a lot of people don't recognize the power of the waters of the Great Lakes. I once remember speaking with a Captain on a liveaboard and he told me that he had started his career on the Great Lakes, working his way up on commercial vessels . When he decided to look for a salt-water job he found that his fresh water experience and license didn't count for much and he basically had to start over; but that was years ago so I don't know if things have changed.

Very interesting. My husband's uncle died on Lake Michigan years ago during a yacht race. His boat was lost with all hands in a sudden freak storm and his body washed up on a beach a month later. I sometimes wonder if any artifacts still remain from that terrible event.

If you can find some information on it, I can do some research and see the general area in which she may lay. I know that an effort is still ongoing to search for the Sea Marr III which disappeared in the 80s. That was large luxury cabin cruiser. No wreckage or anything was found so I'm guessing those lost are inside the possibly intact wreck.

A former boss/co-worker talks of being in that race years ago, and many days out, and in the middle of wide open nowhere, coming upon a hull mostly submerged to the waterline..... he said it just horrified him...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom