Shipwreck - 'City of Owen Sound' / 'Saturn'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No it has not been located. I dont know where they got 85' feet from as she was on the unbound lane some 20+ miles offshore.

That detail is what made me ask.
Sometines the owners would find the hull then decide to leave it there. Maybe there's an obscure article in a forgotten paper that talks about finding it and writing it off... Probably was simply their last bottom sounding.
I read somewhere else since posting this that the crew abandoned ship 30 miles NW of Southampton just East of Llyl Island.

Sometimes... people know and don't tell... like rumors from over 12yrs ago that a group of divers out of Kincardine were diving a 500' wreck off Point Clarke. Working on finding out more about this rumor. ...and hoping it is true. :wink:

Rumors fly all the time especially from divers! 85' she would have been at least stripped of useful fittings. I also noticed no wreckage reports so she may be in good shape.

I will dig into it more as I finish up my permit to search over there. Also I dont know where you can hit 500' off point Clark and no lanes run through the super deep areas that I see.

The crew would probably have a decent idea where they left her and seems they all lived to tell their tale. The southampton paper would be happy to run their stories of adventure and heroic 7hr ordeal to survival.

500' = length of wreck.
Am I reading this right... you're applying for this specific wreck search permit?

Yes along with 2 others in the vicinity. Point Clark is the farthest I would go. As I've studied it thoroughly the last

Couple months I've moved my grid further north and along the lanes. Not the dead space between the ports and the main shipping lanes.

The strange thing is that the saturn wreck isn't in John Weichel research index. One article from 1874 is referenced when it was City of Owen Sound and went aground in the North Channel.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw0wlT-9fQTZelL04BlCXPYJ

It should've been a big enough story to make Goderich Signal as well. Now I'm really curious. I should hit up Peter Sturdy who has written some books about the goings on this section of Lake Huron and lives in Goderich here.

I will also dig into it. David Swayzes book says foundered off Southampton in a westerly storm in 1901.

Back
Top Bottom