Ship Cove Cape Elizabeth Maine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some quick background

My family and I were at the cove cooking out and the kids were swimming. Here a diver comes out and starts talking to my wife about a wreck that is just outside the mouth of the cove. I chime in and ask for a heading or something and he points out to the mouth of the cove just a few feet off the rocks (low tide) at a small structure that when you look at it is does not really fit the other structures, its off the main body of rocks, its cylidrical and at about a 45degree angle to the water. The diver goes on to tell us that it is some wreck just not sure of what its called or much else regarding age ect...

My wife and I intentionally head to this dive site at the lowest tide and head out to this structure, it is completely covered in growth the cylinder part that is at this point a few feet above the water comes down to the bottom and is part of a larger sturcture yet. There is other debrie (we have seen it before and just assumed it was from the Fort that is above it (Fort Williams) and may well be, but now curiosity has me going.

I know I have not discovered some long lost wreck but cannot seem to find any information regarding specifics such as name, circa, type of vessel, or what have you. It could just very well be something that got pushed in from a wreck that may have been further out in the channel during a heavy storm. I have begun doing some basic research and found (to my amazement) that there are hundreds of wrecks just off the coast here (guess I am not amazed it is the Atlantic Coast), but nothing that gives a specific identification to what is in the cove.

If anyone has any idea's or knowlege your input would be greatly appreciated. Pretty cool stuff under the ocean and people all ways ask "do you see anything out there"

Thanks

Did you ever learn any answers to your questions above?

Are you sure it was a piece of a ship, or could it have been a piece of equipment discarded by inhabitants of the fort? I've been told it's common to find old ammo cartridges in that area. But like you have not heard of a shipwreck.
-

Long time ME & NH diver. Found a 1764 shipwreck anchor off the coast of plaice cove Hampton NH. Check out my YouTube channel divecon42. Will check out your find in cape Elizabeth this summer? Yes there are millions to be found in the lakes and seacoast of New england!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom