Sherwood vs Worthington steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know the difference between the worthington and sherwood HP tanks (3442). The sherwood's appear to be a little less expensive and I was curious as to if their was any difference in quality?

Bye the way, anyone want to sell some HP100 tanks at a good price:snorkels:

I think the Sherwoods are made by Arashi (sp?) and are "spun steel"

The Worthingtons are one piece stamped. (there is a video on you tube that shows how they are made). They also have a "tripple galvanized" coated exterior....

I think most here will agree the Worthington is the better tank and there is a reason the Sherwoods are cheaper.

The Asahi tanks are spun formed from seamless tubes. The ends are heated and spun-formed in a huge spinning lathe, and the bottom spun-welded shut, essentially by heating the metal red hot and mashing the edges together! This is results in a bottom that is not as homogeneous or strong as a the bottom of a deep drawn tank, so the bottoms usually must be twice as thick to compensate, which makes the tanks both heavier and more bottom heavy. Some people like this, but most seem to prefer the deep drawn tanks like the Worthingtons. There have also been complaints about the durability of the finish on the Asah, something you will never hear about the HDG on the W's.

I think the Sherwoods are made by Arashi (sp?) and are "spun steel"
The Worthingtons are one piece stamped. (there is a video on you tube that shows how they are made). They also have a "tripple galvanized" coated exterior....
I think most here will agree the Worthington is the better tank and there is a reason the Sherwoods are cheaper.

I have an old Sherwood 100 that was manufactured by PST. The newer Sherwoods are manufactured by Asahi and I believe they have a two coat cold galvinized paint coating. Due to that and the stuff oxyhacker says I prefer to buy Worthingtons and Fabers now.

AL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom