Sherwood Vision issues, spanning wrench might be needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My computer, a Sherwood Vision, failed to turn on this morning on the boat. I am hoping it is just a dead battery (although this is unusual as I'd expect a low battery warning first). I am having trouble with the cover. I have successfully changed batteries on boats before using a flat ended dive knife as a screw driver. The right tool for the job is a spanning wrench, however the manual even says you can use a screw driver. Right now, I have none of the above - I brought a line cutter this time and left my dive knife at home. Hotel keys, nail clippers and fingernails rotate it, but I can't get enough force to open it. I have contacted my dive guide, but haven't heard back (they might be doing a night dive).

An appropriate sized screw driver MIGHT help me, but I am more interested in knowing if anyone on the island has either a spanning wrench or experience with this device. Maybe I could buy you an Obscura?

Just heard back from my dive guide, who is still on a boat diving and is more confident than me we can fix it in the morning. He will bring a spare wrist computer just in case. Still happy to buy anyone a beer, but don't want to try to force it with a screw driver or other tool since I will have a spanning wrench in the morning.

Any dive shop should have a spanner wrench. Have you walked into town to check?

Feels wrong to me. What is the etiquette of this? Can I just walk into to a dive shop and ask them to help me for free, but tell them I am not interested in diving with them because I just spent a lot of money with their competition?

Didn't you get one with your computer?
1674517849106.png

Feels wrong to me. What is the etiquette of this? Can I just walk into to a dive shop and ask them to help me for free, but tell them I am not interested in diving with them because I just spent a lot of money with their competition?
You could go to Pro Dive in town. It is an actual dive equipment shop; buy a battery from them and ask them to change it for you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the etiquette, at any rate; dive shop people are typically friendly and eager to help a fellow diver in need.

I asked Cha Cha Cha, which is near my hotel. They did not have a tool and couldn't help, but highly recommended a place on Calle 2 and Calle 20 that would change it for $5. The owner did not want to look at my phone's map or tell me the name of the place. I walked around that area, but couldn't find anything.

Pro Dive had the tool and let me use it for free! Unfortunately, after removing the ring, the plastic didn't come off - it never did that before. It always came off on it's own or with very light finger pressure. I decided to give up and Pro Dive recommended Deep Blue next door. Deep Blue charged me $25 (and didn't even change the o-ring) which I felt was highway robbery, and I sort-of regret it as I could just rent a computer the rest of my trip. It started working, so it was just a dead battery, and the owner told me the plastic circle is starting to crack and needs replaced. It is cheap, but not something I can find traveling. That advice probably saved me another dive vacation without a useable computer, so I suppose it was worth the $25.

My computer did not come with a spanning wrench, and I've been trying to find a place to buy one since the first time I changed the battery. I assumed if one was included, the manual would not give directions on how to use a screw driver instead. Anyhow, after this experience, I am going to make my own spanning wrench if I can't buy one. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see how he got the plastic circle off, but knowing I can buy a replacement and they don't last forever, I won't be gentle if it gets stuck again.

Deep blue also installed the locking ring upside down from the way I've had it, which is also the way it shipped from the manufacturer. He said he was very familiar and insisted this was correct.

Back
Top Bottom