Sherwood Silhouette Inflator Hose Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WonderlustOji

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We use Sherwood Silhouette BCDs for our rental equipment (and have for some years). They typically last at least 5 years, but we have noticed that when they break, it's typically the same problem.

The Inflator hose connects to the jacket with a threaded connection patch. When guests dump their air, this connection has popped off, separating the inflator hose and the jacket. We have no way to fix/mend this break on our island.

I'm either wondering if this is fixable. If not, understandable, we are due for new equipment anyway. This did occur with 2 of the BCDs we bought in the past 2 years, that's what is upsetting. Since this is always the first piece of hardware to go, I'm starting to question the integrity of the equipment, or at the very least, that joint.

Rio,
Thank you for letting us know. We will get you an answer right away and contact you through your web site email or by phone. We are confident we can get this resolved for you.
Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Thanks, I just got a phone call and am very pleased that you guys are looking out for those who use your gear. I'm impressed with the good service thus far.

Sorry we didn't contact you sooner when the problem arose. I was unsure about the methods of contacting you and what viable reasons were, so I'm very glad we are in contact now.

We also use the Sherwood Silhouette BCD for rental gear and for 4 years or more have had no problem. This year though (2012) we have in the first 5 months had 13 (thirteen) BCDs all break in the same way, thats 2/3rds of our rental stock. And like the other user in Cayos Cochinos we are located on a remote island that takes us 2-3 months to get supplies sent to. Sherwood have contacted me twice and offered half price replacement bladders, which have yet to arrive in stock, so we're around 4-6 months behind the curve in terms of getting on top of this problem.
I refuse to believe this is normal wear and tear, there must be a design fault here for so many to go, and clearly we are not the only ones affected, as evidenced by the user above.
As a result of Sherwood not having replacement bladders in stock in time I've now had to ordered a bunch of replacement BCDs from another manufacturer.

I wonder if the same designer was used for the dangerous SR1 regulator!!!

Bellamy55, the solution to the exact same problem with my rental BCDs was "pay to replace them" It took over 18 months of emails back and forth and needless to say I was very unhappy with the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom