Sherwood Elite "light" fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda22

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone tried the Sherwood Elite fin? It was advertised in Scuba Diver magazine a few months ago as a good light weight fin. Composite-blade technology. Travel friendly with outstanding permormance. I can not find any reviews on it. Or if their weight would make much difference. I have been using the Tusa X-Pert Zooms for awhile and was thinking of getting away from the split fin. I have a real need to lessen my luggage fees.

I have not used these fins but they are sold at the store I work at and they are pretty light (significantly lighter then atomic splitfins). I would assume that they would be nice to kick with but i have not used them to know for sure. Also i don't know how long the rubber "spring" strap would last if they were used regularily. Probabley longer then i would expect though.

On the Scuba.com site one of the ordering options for this fin is an add Ocean Quest spring strap for an additional $20.00. It does make me wonder about the straps. They are described as "high stretch silicone heel strap".

I have looked at the Hollis F2 after researching here but it appears they run large in size.

Hi
I ordered these fins from scuba.com. The fins seem great, and the fit of my foot is like a glove using the sizing chart based on my shoe size (not dive boot size).
I got the optional spring strraps but they wouldn't snap- in so I thought they were a mismatch and sent them back. Latrer I discovered the mounting swivels 90' then comes
off and that's probably what I needed to do. I've tried them in the water twice and both times had issues with the fins falling off because
the silicone straps just do not hold them on. The instructors at scuba.com provided good support but aparently Sherwood gave them the
brush off when they called for support!! The Scuba.com rep told me they were going to modify the site decription and remove 'adjustable strap'.

I like the fins enough that I think I may try to buy some compatible adjustible or spring straps, but may consider getting some Oceanic
Vipers instead. I hope this helps.

I'm sure the high stretch silicone straps would hold up fine but an actual spring strap would be better IMO.

Last edited:
Another option many people overlook, is getting rid of their big 15lb wheeled suitcases,and using something like a army duffel bag that weighs what...a pound or two? Or don't pack so many clothes,buy and wear the 3 for 5 dollar t-shirts they sell at all our favorite destinations etc.

Got these fins yesterday. Will be trying them out this evening snorkeling and hopefully a few dives on Sunday.

They fit me well and I love the silicone straps. Sizing is everything though. I'm just glad I could get a solid pair of fins that comfortably fit my size 13 2E/ee feet. I'll be using my usual 5mm hard soled boots and will let you all know how they perform.

Leaving work now and off to the beach.

---------- Post Merged at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Got my first test of the Sherwood Elite fins. My bag is noticeably lighter for one compared to my splits. Which makes them more convenient for traveling.

Secondly, they are positively buoyant in salt water. On the surface they won't sink and under water they will rise slowly until partially submerged. I sold a pair of fins that annoyed me because they were too positive. I couldn't keep my feet vertical without ankle weights which I don't have. I DO NOT have this problem with the Sherwood Elite fins. I did however have a hard time kicking at first since I've been using TUSA Xpert zoom z3s since February. The Z3s are split fins, neutrally buoyant and worth their weight in gold. However kicking splits and paddles are two different skills.

The fins are powerful which was good today as the tide was strong. There buoyancy meant I wasn't slapping water while surface swimming and getting use to the stiffness of the blade. While splits are easier to complete a kick cycle these fins require less strokes over the same distance (not like that is a surprise).

The silicone heel strap is quite unique and could take some getting use to. Every once in a while when swimming, snorkeling or diving I adjust my straps. Usually I go looser. However that is not an option with these but then again the same can also be said for SS spring straps. The fit was snug in my 5mm hard sole size 13s. After about 10 minutes it got comfortable as obviously this was the first time the straps were used and stretched. I took them off a few times afterward and donning got remarkably easy and the straps seem quite natural.

With regards to the straps they are very strong and of high quality. I have no idea how long silicone can maintain performing the job of a fin strap but silicone does have certain advantages compared to rubber that could justify a switch.

Come weekend I will be getting use to them more before diving on Sunday to really gauge their performance.

What can I say ... these fins are that good. Did 2 dives today and was very impressed. Not just with the blade but also the silicone heel strap. It performs just like one would expect of a SS spring strap although I've never used spring straps. They are easy to put on on deck or in the water and double easy to remove while holding onto the strap. Today was the first time I did this being able to climb the ladder with fins secure in hand.

The beauty of paddles is they require less kicks compared to splits and while everyone else wore paddles I certainly recognized the difference. At times I stopped kicking and simply drifted as it was too easy to move ahead of the group.

I also snorkeled yesterday and these are great kickers against current. They also stay partially submerged at the surface so no slapping water. After the first hour of use I was totally use to these fins. My legs have adapted to the stiffer blade but because of the performance and efficiency I didn't need to kick as much.

Would I recommend these ... certainly. The heel strap is novel and it works wonderfully well.

Thanks for the review cnar. Just returned from a 5 week Micronesia/Palau trip and since I couldn't make a decision on the fins, I took the Xpert zooms. They were great on the Truk Lagoon wrecks. The Palau and Kosrae currrents were a different story. They were okay but I wondered what the difference would be with a stiffer fin. Almost lost one of my Tusa's on the surface because they still have the original straps on them and I think it loosened and slipped under the bootie seam. Both sides of the strap were in place when, fortunately, someone grabbed it. It was sinking fast. Except for the Chuuk leg I was wishing for at least spring straps. I like what you are saying about the Sherwood's though. Please post if any issues come up with the straps. I am in the Mountain West and not many places here to put them to the test.

Shaun-Are you still having difficulty keeping the original straps on or sticking with the springs? Or did you go to the Oceanics?

As far as the packing goes I have gone with both the duffle and a lightweight large (right under oversize measurements) wheeled bag. The wheeled bag weighs 9 lbs and is quite sturdy. Sometimes you need the maneuverability when you are negotiating two check-ins and two carry ons. An Army duffle is a good idea for a second bag on the next extended trip. Men's t-shirts I can do without. I'd rather pack my own and wash them. One of these days I'll get the packing down. I bet anyone in the travel industry that handles tourists bags hate the sight of a heavy duffle.

Thanks for the help.

On the Scuba.com site one of the ordering options for this fin is an add Ocean Quest spring strap for an additional $20.00. It does make me wonder about the straps. They are described as "high stretch silicone heel strap".

I have looked at the Hollis F2 after researching here but it appears they run large in size.

that they do, Hollis advised they coming out with a 26" spring in October, I'm still waiting. They are very spacious indeed, if you have a foot smaller than a 7 wettie I'd look elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom