Sherwood 80 HP & US Divers 80 HP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gamehunter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone tell me if the HP tanks from Sherwood and US Divers are the same size and made by PST?I may end up doubling these in the future for my daughter as she is 5'1" and needs something shorter.

Can anyone tell me if the HP tanks from Sherwood and US Divers are the same size and made by PST?I may end up doubling these in the future for my daughter as she is 5'1" and needs something shorter.

yes, both should be 3500psi with 7/8" valve threads. Not made anymore, but the worthington 3442psi equivalents are nearly identical dimensions and weighting with 3/4" valve threads (which are actually physically larger). The modern valves are easier to find and don't have the funky angled openings that the Genesis valves have.

I am honestly not convinced they are the same - as far as I am aware modern Sherwood HP cylinders are not made by PST.

They may well have the same pressure rating and neck thread, but dimension wise :confused: - not so sure they are the same.!

Do you have one cylinders dimensions available, it would then be easy to match.

I am honestly not convinced they are the same - as far as I am aware modern Sherwood HP cylinders are not made by PST.

They may well have the same pressure rating and neck thread, but dimension wise :confused: - not so sure they are the same.!

Do you have one cylinders dimensions available, it would then be easy to match.

They are the same, neither USD nor Sherwood has ever made tanks themselves. And PST was the only company ever making true HP (3500psi) steel 80s. Both USD and Sherwood rebranded PST tanks during distribution. This predated PSTs later efforts to salvage their business via more direct marketing (an effort which eventually failed).

They are:
7/8" neck threads (old but manifolds still available)
7.25" diameter
19.5 to 20" tall
just under 30 lbs each empty

And make horrible doubles. They are so short and squatty that everyone "pops a wheelie" with them and drops their knees to compensate for their negativity up high. Even for a 5'1" woman, double 100s are a better choice. My wife is pretty short (5'3") and she does well with double AL80s and a weight belt to keep her center of gravity down closer to her hips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom