Shearwater upgrade firmware info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shabaday

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For those interested I was updating my Perdix AI and Peregrine. I was using my Mac laptop and Shearwater Cloud. I was having connectivity issues and getting upgrade failures. I called Shearwater and Ivan took great care of me...He said don't use the laptop and use my iPhone instead. He said the iPhones seem to have better bluetooth connectivity and are faster. He stayed on the line to make sure things went correctly. The iPhone worked perfectly. Figure about 15 minutes to do the firmware update. Another satisfied Shearwater customer service experience.

Yeah Shearwater customer service is terrific. Had a similar issue some years ago, before Shearwater Cloud existed. Had a thorough exchange via email (I live on the wrong side of the pond), even a few file sent and everything was sorted out quickly. Amazing.

PC user here.

I have always had connectivity issues too and same with all my friends sometime it can be really frustrating because the error only occurs after the 10-15min download. I think its just a Shearwater Bluetooth thing. But for me it has been just the opposite I find my laptop is the only way to do successful updates, never could get it to work on my iPhone. But that being said I have found the only way I can get updates is if I place my dive computer on my laptop like right in the middle of the key board. Seems to be the trick for me. But the only problem is once your friends find out your laptop does successful updates it become the update machine since they cant get there's to work either. Then you end up with a pile of Shearwaters on your connection list. Two pages like this 😂😂
1642864827242.png

once your friends find out your laptop does successful updates it become the update machine
Where do you live, my friend?

+1 on the phone... I can only get my android phone to connect flawlessly. The PC will work, but it's such a hassle. I'll download via phone and view it on the PC.

@rob.mwpropane, I question your decisions. If you used a Mac like I do...you'd still have the same issues! :wink:. Seriously, glad to hear it's not just me. I commonly have to do something like 5-10 tries to get it to work. It's frustrating, but I suppose the lack of a direct-connect cord means one less failure point on the computer. I'm willing to deal with some additional bluetooth hassles for a more durable compute in the water!

Just updated 2 with iPad and one with an iPhone. There was only one “time-out failure”, between 4 tries. It took 25 min each, which seems kind of long, but all and all is not bad…

I've got 2 Shearwaters :

- a Petrel 1
- and a Petrel 2

Except my unhappy story (already told) with my MacMini (the problem was too old an OS version and no possibility of upgrading it) I can't say upgrading the firmware or downloading the dives was a real problem.

Although, some times, for no reason I can't figure out, it's a bit less easy than the previous time (either with my android phone or tablet, or my desktop on W10). I should add it seems more frequent with the Petrel 2, or so it seems to me. No real bother though, just need to try twice or thrice, then things go easy.

My real problem is with the software permitting to download and manage the dives data :

- used MacDive for over 10 years, but as I don't have a Mac any longer...
- tried Subsurface and utterly hated it : no convenient, nor user friendly, at least to my taste
- Shearwater cloud isn't to my liking too

Which other software do you guys use ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom