Shearwater Teric extended storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never let mine get below 40% before topping it off.
I'm careful with mine too. The 6 month thing in the manual is fine, but like some of us have experienced you may not even get 6 weeks much less 6 months if you have the battery drain issue.

i never let my teric drop below 30% normally and NEVER die completely, but thats means i have to remove and replace from charger every few days. my last vacation was actually the longest time away where no one was in my house to look after any thing for me. 6 days down to 14% when i contacted shearwater they told me yes there is an issue. they even went as far as saying that they do know of an issue with certain serial number batch groups. Obviously no charge to repair ( only shipping to them) i also did note my compass having to be calibrated before and between every dive. mid dive it would constant say im going north no matter how i turn (reef dive no magnet or big metal formations in the area) dive shop i purchased through agreed to dive me free rental computer while my computer is out. cant get that service if i sent it in myself

i never let my teric drop below 30% normally and NEVER die completely, but thats means i have to remove and replace from charger every few days. my last vacation was actually the longest time away where no one was in my house to look after any thing for me. 6 days down to 14% when i contacted shearwater they told me yes there is an issue. they even went as far as saying that they do know of an issue with certain serial number batch groups. Obviously no charge to repair ( only shipping to them) i also did note my compass having to be calibrated before and between every dive. mid dive it would constant say im going north no matter how i turn (reef dive no magnet or big metal formations in the area) dive shop i purchased through agreed to dive me free rental computer while my computer is out. cant get that service if i sent it in myself
I’ve been offered loaners by Shearwater each time I’ve sent one in, I have two so the last time I sent 1 and when it was returned sent the other. It’s still the only computer I’m interested in for myself, so long as they continue to stand behind them I’m not looking for anything else.

nice i didnt even ask about a loaner from shearwater but whatever its already there and hopefully almost done with the repair.
I’ve been offered loaners by Shearwater each time I’ve sent one in, I have two so the last time I sent 1 and when it was returned sent the other. It’s still the only computer I’m interested in for myself, so long as they continue to stand behind them I’m not looking for anything else.

Some rechargeable devices have battery charging guidance that minimizes battery charge "memory". In other words, if a person chronically recharges the battery after it's just partly discharged, or if the device is left on the charger for extended times after fully charged, it may lose it's capacity to hold what used to be a full charge. For example, if a person's phone is at about 70% at the end of the day, and the normal procedure is to plug it in overnight, and it's fully charged by midnight and the rest of the night it sits in the charger fully charged. After a while, that phone's battery may discharge faster and faster over time. Could this issue be similar to that?

No,
First: the battery charger automatically stops charging when 100% and does not restart charging until the computer has been removed and reinstalled back to charger ( work by magnetism not current draw so said by shearwater )
Second: I have only owned this computer for like 9 months ( confirmed this when I took it to the dive shop I purchased through) so yes that could be a possibility but it would take a lot longer than 9 month for this type of power drop to be noticeable unless shearwater went really cheap with the battery they installed.
Third: there is many other people who this also happened to (as read after I posted this in other threads) and speculation that there is a particular manufacturer batch that has this issue due to a manufacturer flaw. My dive shop said mine was the 6th computer they sent in for the same issues in the past few months.
Some rechargeable devices have battery charging guidance that minimizes battery charge "memory". In other words, if a person chronically recharges the battery after it's just partly discharged, or if the device is left on the charger for extended times after fully charged, it may lose it's capacity to hold what used to be a full charge. For example, if a person's phone is at about 70% at the end of the day, and the normal procedure is to plug it in overnight, and it's fully charged by midnight and the rest of the night it sits in the charger fully charged. After a while, that phone's battery may discharge faster and faster over time. Could this issue be similar to that?

Some rechargeable devices have battery charging guidance that minimizes battery charge "memory". In other words, if a person chronically recharges the battery after it's just partly discharged, or if the device is left on the charger for extended times after fully charged, it may lose it's capacity to hold what used to be a full charge.

Memory effect isn't something that happens with lithium based batteries, that was an issue with nickel based batteries, and is fixable.

Lithium batteries can physically wear out, but that shouldn't happen that quickly unless you are using the device nearly everyday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom