Shearwater Teric AI bug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was diving on Sunday with both my Terics. Both have firmware v18 (the most current). I was using one transmitter. One Teric read the transmitter just fine. The other would not read it at all. Out of the water. In the water. Holding both computers right next to the transmitter. It didn't matter.

I quadruple checked that both computers were set to AI mode of T2 and that the transmitter ID for T2 was set the same on both computers. I even had 2 buddies look at them to make sure I was not being stupid.

After I got home, I decided to try both Terics with a different transmitter than the one I had been using.

I found that the Teric that wasn't reading AI had the same transmitter ID entered for both T1 and T2. I changed AI mode to T1, entered the new transmitter ID in for T1, and the Teric worked. Then I switched regs, to have the original reg set, with the T2 transmitter, on the tank, changed AI mode back to T2, and now both Terics worked with that transmitter (the original one I couldn't read), too.

So, lesson learned: If a Teric has the same transmitter ID saved for both T1 and T2, then it will not give you a reading if it's set for AI mode of T2 and to display "Tx & GTR".

I do not know if it would display the tank pressure if I changed the computer to display T1. I did not test that.

I would call this a bug because, if my AI mode is set to T2, then whatever information I have entered for T1 should not affect the computer’s behavior in any way. In my opinion.

Thanks for telling us. Have you told Shearwater?

My Ratio and SP don't have this issue.

:p

I would hope not! Those are so much more expensive, I would hope they would be PERFECT straight from the factory...

To be fair, those are also so huge, I guess you really ARE getting more computer for your money... LOL :wink:

Interesting! I just sent my Teric in as it wouldn't read either transmitter we have - husband's could read both, and we have ours set up that "our" transmitter is set up for T1 in our Teric and the other transmitter is set up as T2. I originally thought it was a battery issue with the transmitter, but after troubleshooting that I did try switching my transmitter as T2 but it still wouldn't read. It's at DiveTronix now for repair - anxious to have it back soon!

Not sure that's a bug, sounds more like operator error .
That would be dangerous if it worked as you expected with the same transmitter programmed two two different mixes. It would be better for that situation to default to a no reading so the diver changes to Analog gauges and/or figures out what incorrect configuration exists.

Back
Top Bottom