Shearwater - Petrel - Recreational Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared Silly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Nice, I was talking with them a couple of months ago about this and they said it was in the works, well I guess it's almost here. Cool, I'm keen to have a play.

---------- Post added March 26th, 2014 at 10:38 AM ----------

Cheers for additional link. I'll update tomorrow. Thanks again.

In using my Petrel for rec dives I noticed the lack of the safety stop and wished it was there. But then again I can count to three - well really four so it was not a big deal. Then in a conversation with them about a year ago I mentioned that a rec mode might be worth looking at. And it seems they did.

As a rec diver, the thing I did not like about the shearwater was its "everything in one size" display, info not really need for rec dives, and no safety stop timer. They fixed all of this in a big way judging from the photos, with Dive/time info in large font in one box, and NDL/Safety stop (or deco stop) in another box with seconds counting down (which I like), with larger fonts and excellent color-coded tracking and warnings. A very nice improvement. This is obviously a company that listens. When I am ready to splurge on a color computer, this will be one of the top contenders. They have really taken the "just buy one computer in your diving career" and made it a realistic concept.

EDIT: Just checked out the videos. REALLY excellent changes to the computer. Well done Shearwater!

Last edited:
Dammit, they're going to get me to put a crowbar in my wallet. Mainly, it's the large, colorful display that I need as my eyesight gets poorer. I just can't read my wristwatch-style display very well anymore. But there are other computers with large colorful displays; the ability to grow into the Petrel is the clincher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom