Shearwater Petrel 2; strange surface interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GF99/99

Contributor
Reaction score
Just did a normal battery change in my Petrel 2 and the surface interval now says 999 days which is defiantly no the case. I have sent and inquiry to Shearwater but in the mean time figured I would check on here to see if anyone else has seen this or knows the reason for this?

Firmwear is up to date, and also tried doing another battery change and same thing. Going to take it for a dive tomorrow but just a little hesitant about it if there actually is something wrong with it.

Shearwater 999 days.jpeg

Why don’t you email Shearwater directly or the Shearwater service center for your region?

I know with my Perdix if I do a firmware upgrade it resets the surface interval. i.e. the surface interval will be the time since the firmware upgrade is done.

Perhaps with the Petrel 2 it sets it to -1 which gets displayed as 999.

Battery change resets interval. Usually 0 days. But 999 would not surprise me.
I would ignore it and see if it resets correctly after a dive.
Or do a firmware update, that also resets the interval to 0 days.

Short answer, it's wonky because of a battery change. Normal and expected.

Is your current date and time set correctly?
Yes date and time are correct

I know with my Perdix if I do a firmware upgrade it resets the surface interval. i.e. the surface interval will be the time since the firmware upgrade is done.

Perhaps with the Petrel 2 it sets it to -1 which gets displayed as 999.
I did not do an update just a simple battery change. Also I have changed batteries hundreds on times in various Shearwater platforms and have never seen this nor has the surface interval been changed.

Battery change resets interval. Usually 0 days. But 999 would not surprise me.
I would ignore it and see if it resets correctly after a dive.
Or do a firmware update, that also resets the interval to 0 days.

Short answer, it's wonky because of a battery change. Normal and expected.

Yes I took it in the pool in the morning for a couple minutes and registered the dive everything was working and it reset the surface interval and is now reading correct however once I went to turn the computer back on after I had turned it off after the pool test I then got a high CNS alert first thing when I turned it on and when I went to check the CNS % it just shows "OVR" in red meaning the CNS level is so high is beyond 3 digits so it can not display it.

CNS ovr.jpeg

I then checked the firmwear and I must have been mistaken when I though I had the latest updated because I was behind on one update so I updated the firmwear and once it auto turned on it instantly gave me a stack time alarm not that this is a big deal but just strange. So I clicked confirm and check that CNS was reset to 0% and surface interval to 0h00m. But still not sure when first thing when I turned it on again I got some other type of alarm.

stack time.jpeg

I then took it for a quick and simple 90min air dil dive (maybe only racked up 30min-40min deco) in the afternoon and everything seems to be working but it seem very strange to have all these different thing happening.

Any ideas??

Also still have not heard anything back from Shearwater.

Yes date and time are correct

I did not do an update just a simple battery change. Also I have changed batteries hundreds on times in various Shearwater platforms and have never seen this nor has the surface interval been changed.

Yes I took it in the pool in the morning for a couple minutes and registered the dive everything was working and it reset the surface interval and is now reading correct however once I went to turn the computer back on after I had turned it off after the pool test I then got a high CNS alert first thing when I turned it on and when I went to check the CNS % it just shows "OVR" in red meaning the CNS level is so high is beyond 3 digits so it can not display it.

View attachment 688851

I then checked the firmwear and I must have been mistaken when I though I had the latest updated because I was behind on one update so I updated the firmwear and once it auto turned on it instantly gave me a stack time alarm not that this is a big deal but just strange. So I clicked confirm and check that CNS was reset to 0% and surface interval to 0h00m. But still not sure when first thing when I turned it on again I got some other type of alarm.

View attachment 688852

I then took it for a quick and simple 90min air dil dive (maybe only racked up 30min-40min deco) in the afternoon and everything seems to be working but it seem very strange to have all these different thing happening.

Any ideas??

Also still have not heard anything back from Shearwater.
Which version did you upgrade from? Is there a chance it was pre-stack time alarm? I seem to remember when that feature was added, it turned on by default and assumed all the time on the computer was on the same scrubber.

All in all, odd behavior, and curious what SW/Richard says.

Which version did you upgrade from? Is there a chance it was pre-stack time alarm? I seem to remember when that feature was added, it turned on by default and assumed all the time on the computer was on the same scrubber.

All in all, odd behavior, and curious what SW/Richard says.

I am pretty sure from v81

I am pretty sure from v81

Hi marsh9077,

I am sorry you didn't hear back yet from Shearwater technical support. I'll follow up on that.

Since you were on v81, this is a known issue. This issue only existed on v81 and only on the Petrel 2. It usually displayed as "OVR" on various decompression related displays, but could also cause the surface interval to display 999 days. Your firmware update will have resolved this issue.

v83 release note.png

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom