Shearwater Desktop Dive Log Using a LOT of disk space

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidmgf

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My Shearwater Desktop dive log has less than 200 dives logged yet it is using over 200gb of disk space in 3 files in my ...\AppData\Roaming\com.shearwaterresearch.divebook folder. There are 3 files there which appear to be using the most space:

"0ec4858a-7fb4-47fe-9a61-4f1aa7e3b2d8Local" is a 35gb file
"6c68ca1d-843f-4072-9251-ecd626019d1eLocal" is a 7gb file
and "Local" is a 175gb file for a 3 file total of 217gb!

They all show relatively recent access (within the past week) with the "Local" file showing access for the same day when I last added log entries.

What are these files holding and why are they so large? This seems like a lot of data for such a small number of dives.

Sounds goofy to me... Mine is 25 kb and has almost 400 dives in it.

Looking at this logically, there is just no way that could be right. One Gb per dive??? Shyte... it would take up half the capacity of my MacBook Pro drive~

Had the same probem after an interrupted dive because of DC shutting down on low battery. After uploading this last dive I got a low disk space warning. Deleted my log files and everything was fine thereafter. I have never been able to recover my previous dives however.

Maybe there is a bug in the Windows version of Shearwater Desktop.

Mine is taking up 44M and 43M of that look like firmware update files (Nerd 10, Perdix, Perdix AI, Petrel GEN1, Petrel GEN2, etc. in various languages: CH, DE, EN, ES, etc.). Maybe you have a lot of old firmware updates sitting in the fw folder?

Hi Davidmgf,

I apologize for the inconvenience Shearwater Desktop is causing you.

The large file sizes you’re seeing is the result of a bug in previous versions of Shearwater Desktop where the software will generate unusual large file size of dives. We’ve addressed this in the latest version of Shearwater Desktop (v3.1.4).

As for the large files stored on your computer, I would advise that you:
  1. Restart your computer. This will ensure that the process that is creating this log file has stopped.
  2. Open Shearwater Desktop and back up your dives by going to File->Backup Database... and saving the file somewhere.
  3. Close Shearwater Desktop.
  4. Go to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\com.shearwaterresearch.divebook and delete the large files. Don't delete the "Local Store" directory or any files in it.
If you're still experiencing issues, feel free to reach out to us and we'll get you sorted out.

Nothing beats a quick manufacturer response to a problem that includes a fix!

Hi Davidmgf,

I apologize for the inconvenience Shearwater Desktop is causing you.

The large file sizes you’re seeing is the result of a bug in previous versions of Shearwater Desktop where the software will generate unusual large file size of dives. We’ve addressed this in the latest version of Shearwater Desktop (v3.1.4).

Thank you (and everyone else who responded). I now have a db file of just under 3mb which is in the realm of what I expected it to be. :) Thank you for your prompt response - the update was just what I needed and it arrived "just in time" to prevent me from completely running out of space on my C: drive! I now have over 200gb free and my computer and I thank you! :p

It is very refreshing to get such a prompt response from a manufacturer. I am sure many of us have experienced dealing with companies who are exceedingly slow to respond, if they choose to respond at all! This was a simple issue to fix with your input, but it did cause me to loose a bit of productivity for a short period of time. However, without your help, I would have had to remove Shearwater Desktop and I would then have lost use of my dive log which is a very important tool for me as it is for many others. So again, Thank You!

David Moritz
Gainesville, Florida

Back
Top Bottom