Shearwater Cloud Desktop: Average SAC calc error

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I believe the Average SAC calculation in the Shearwater Cloud Desktop application is calculating average SAC incorrectly.

Perdix AI dive log consulted. Avg SAC noted for a previous dive.
All dives bluetooth transferred to Shearwater Desktop program (local file). No average SAC calculations noted in any of the screen displays. Wish they were there. My dive printout is missing an important piece of data (for me).
Perdix AI dive log transferred to Shearwater Android Phone App. Android Phone App displays "Shearwater Cloud" and then list of dives. Tank Pressures match what was in device and on Shearwater Desktop. So far, so good.
Hooray! Average SAC is on Android Phone App, just like dive computer (but not Shearwater Desktop). I'm heading toward finding a way to print out my dive without hand-transferring all the info. But...I can't print from my phone (though others can, I know).
So now I download Shearwater Cloud desktop to my computer, and it recognizes the open file of Shearwater Desktop also open, and asks if I want to upload my files. I say "Yes" and now I have a list of dives open in the Android Phone App, the Shearwater Desktop (local from bluetooth transfer) and Shearwater Cloud Desktop.

I now update my firmware to v65 (THANK YOU FOR SurGF!!!).
OOPS! my device no longer shows any AI information. That's okay...I've got it on my computer and phone, but I better remember to only ADD dives, not upload the entire Perdix AI log again.

Now I compare the four (but device info is from my hand entered paper log, since the dive computer no longer has any pressure log info). All tank pressures match.

Android Phone App matches what used to show on my computer for Average SAC.
Shearwater Desktop matches the other two for tank pressures, but can't find an average SAC.
Shearwater Cloud desktop shows more than double the Avg SAC on the dive computer, so it is apparently not copying all data from the cloud, but is making some calculations on the fly. Note, however, that the instantaneous SAC as you move the cursor along the dive profile is accurate.
SACDiscrepancy.PNG
When I take the (erroneous) Shearwater Cloud Desktop Average SAC, and divide it by the number of ATA implied by my average depth for the dive, voila! I get a number which matches my computer and my phone app.

@Shearwater , two requests and one suggestion please:
1) It would be nice to have average SAC in Shearwater Desktop
2) If you can duplicate my findings, please correct Shearwater Cloud Desktop to correctly calculate average SAC. Also, I note that the dive mode in the Cloud Desktop (CC/BO) does not match the dive mode of the actual dive (OC Tec) or the one recorded in Shearwater Desktop (OC).
CaptureDiveMode.PNGDesktop.PNG
and 3) perhaps note on your Firmware Update website page that it would be best to store your dives somewhere other than your device before you update your firmware to v65.

Hi rsingler,

There are a number of items in your post, so let me answer them one at a time:

1) SAC Calculation error on Cloud Desktop: Please make sure you have an up-to-date copy of Shearwater Cloud Desktop. The SAC calculation error sounds like one that we fixed in an earlier version. The current version is 2.2.5, and you can get it here: Shearwater Cloud - Shearwater Research

2) AI Information missing on dive computer: We changed the way that SAC is calculated on the device as per the release notes here: https://www.shearwater.com/wp-conte...-PerdixAI-Perdix-Nerd-2-v65-Release-Notes.pdf
This was in order to bring the calculations in line with how they are calculated on the Teric and on the Shearwater Cloud software. If your AI information is missing on your dive computer, that is absolutely not intended behaviour. I would like you to contact me at mlee@shearwater.com so that I can take a look at some of those dives.

3) The issue with dive mode in Shearwater Cloud was also resolved in a recent version.

4) Shearwater Desktop is being retired. I recognize that Shearwater Cloud does not yet implement all of the functionality of Shearwater Desktop (most notably printing) but we do intend to implement those features in the near future.

Please note that no information has been lost or erased from your dive logs on your dive computer. The issue with the AI information looks like it is an issue with how the information is displayed rather than something to do with how it is stored.

Thanks for your patience,

Regards,
Mark
Shearwater Research

As always, Mark, thank you for your company's unbelievable customer service.
To answer your questions, I will indeed be in touch with mlee@shearwater. Note that I have already sent an email to info@shearwater with most of this data.
Re: 1): I have version 2.2.5. It is the only version I have used - I just started with the Cloud today.
Dive150snip.PNG
Re: 2): I understand that you have made changes to SAC calculations, and that makes sense. Note that I am not the only person who has noted this issue: Firmware Update Cloud - help
Re: 3): the issue with dive mode has apparently not been fully resolved. As the screen capture documents, there is a clear difference between the CC/BO mode displayed in Cloud Desktop and the mode dived on the computer, despite my Cloud being v. 2.2.5.
CaptureDiveMode.PNG
Re: 4): thanks for letting me know. I'll not annotate Shearwater Desktop with dive notes any further, and look forward to printout capability for Cloud Desktop in the future.
I'm not concerned about the AI data that is not currently stored from past dives, as I was already backed up.
20190123_190402.jpg 20190123_192203.jpg Dive150Pressures.PNG
As you can see, the pressures were uploaded into Shearwater Cloud Desktop.
Yet after the firmware upgrade, my Dive Log shows N/A for those same pressures for Dive #150.
Still, I do hope to see that AI data in my Perdix's local log with my upcoming dives this weekend.

Thank you again for your efforts! I'll be in touch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom