Shd I get Tympanoplast op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingsurfari

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, further to my burst ear drum (Bubbles coming from ear and injury) I'm currently considering the option of a tympanoplast.

The Dr. told me the position of the 'very small' hole is in the middle of the eardrum; a 'good' position for operational success likelihood. He seemed confident and said he was happy to operate. However, he stated there was a small possibility of losing my hearing and/or taste. Needless to say, this is an undesirable outcome and I'm taking my time deciding.

From my own feeling, the area of the trauma goes beyond the eardrum and along the eustachian tube although the occasional pain seems to be localised around the hole. I'm currently not experiencing any major pain or discomfort from the injury but I do occasionally have pain around the hole and the area feels weak.

I'd like to close the hole but is it worth the risk?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom