Sharkskin Chillproof suit versus dry suit undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As I pass into my 60's, a back zip suit is slowly becoming a problem and I look for
a front zip which makes life easier.
Other than the zipper position is there a difference between the Sharkskin suit and the Sharkskin dry suit undergarment?

( looking for the warmth of a 2-3mm tropical water suit with a front zipper. I do not do dry suit diving)

Have you actually tried a front zip suit? I have a hard time getting them off my shoulders.

I use an OLD, OLD Body Glove Polartec with front zipper that is no longer made for all my tropical water diving. ( In colder water I use a 5mm with back zipper)
I love being able to zip up while others in the boat are helping each other or asking for help to do the back zipper (either to pull up the last few inches or to star pulling down. Then to close the small velcro that many suits have to cover the zipper at the top)

I just heard from Sharkskin representative that tells me the full suit and the dry suit undergarment are identical except for the zipper position.

Last edited:
Seems to me that in the pictures the neck is different between the two suits. It probably does not matter since I always use a hood.

I have to admit.....I bought the rear zipper in January because I could not find a front zipper one. Went on a trip and on the first dive the seam anterior to the right shoulder came undone. On the second dive the seam along the front neck region where the neoprene met the other material came undone. I had several big holes measuring 5 or 6 inches in my new suit (I took pics in case I had trouble returning it)!! The crew in the liveaboard offered to stitch it ip but since I planned to return it (which I did successfully) I did not want them to alter it.
I also have to mention that there was a diver from Spain on the same trip wearing the exact same suit and he had used it for several years without any issues.
I am still willing to try the front zip suit and will probably purchase it for my next trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom