Sharks, Sharks and more sharks: Yonaguni

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

japan-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
After returning from 11 days of diving leading 6 seperate group of divers to Yonaguni to chase hammereheads we have to report a grand success. Everydiver in every group was lucky enough to see at least one school of sharks in there time there and many saw multiple schools of 30+ sharks. We had rainy windy conditions but the dives went well and viz was the typical 100+ feet/30m even in the clouds and rain. In the 38 dives I did I saw well over 200+ sharks and schools. On one day I had the distinction of being the only guide on island to encounter schools- I told the local guides that it was my secret gaijin hammerhead call that I taught them over shots at the local bar later (If in Yonaguni look up West Point- tiny bar, great owner and selection of drinks).
Diving was done with SaWest and the staff was outstanding as usual with great support and for the most part kept the groups as small as possible during peak season. Many dives was groups of 6-8 divers only. ALthough one of the biggest schools was seen when we had a group of 14 divers and three staff in the water and were drifiting next to (within sight) another shop which had about 10-14 divers in the water and the school swam right under us and even came very close to take to take a look. Found a great guest house in Adan located in Sonai cheap rooms, brand new and has a kitchen you can use to make your own meals if you like. Also had guests stay at Irifune Hotel- reccomended, White House- not recommended(extra charges for coffee and they kept losing our reservations) and the Irifuku minshuku which helped us out when someone lost reservations and they were great- good food nice people.

We even got a couple dives at Isseki for the ruins and introduced divers to what diving in current really is as we shot across the top of the monument. And to round out the trip we cruised over the reefs at Double Arch and others for some great drift dives.

Unfortunately we also got to test the helo evac system from Yonaguni as one member of the last group came up from a dive symtomatic of DCS - the staff and the Yonaguni clinic (the doctor speaks perfect English) was great and had the chopper from Ishigaki on the ground in Yonaguni in about 1 hour and treament in Ishigaki about 45minutes later. The patient was then evacuated to Okinawa by the US military as he was active duty and further care given at the US military hospital in Okinawa- glad to report it looks like full resolution of matters with treatment. Although over the last two days of diving it had alot of us tuned in to every little pain and itch we felt as 5 of us had done the exact same profiles and I had done the same profiles plus a few other dives guiding other groups. Keep your dive insurance updated as the helo flight alone was Y180,000 - this member had DAN insurance and also the US military will probably pick up the tab anyway as he is active duty.

man that sounds like such a trip! i envy you. i would have never thought that there were schools of hammerheads in japanese waters. that is amazing. you have any pictures? how big were the sharks?

hi japan-diver,

looks like you have a great success in diving yonaguni, except for the guy with DCS. it was a big relief, however, to hear that he has recovered without residual symptoms.

i agree with you completely: every diver needs to have DAN insurance. i'll be in ishigaki on 3/13-18 and will not leave home without my DAN insurance card, not AMEX :)

ken chung ar

Spoon:
man that sounds like such a trip! i envy you. i would have never thought that there were schools of hammerheads in japanese waters. that is amazing. you have any pictures? how big were the sharks?

As I was guiding divers I was not carrying a camera. You can not watch divers and take pictures at the same time. Most of the sharks in schools were 2.5 to 3.5m in length although we did run into a few very large individuals on a few of the dives. Hopefully some of the divers will be kind enough to send me some of their photos.

Im surprised that there are so many sharks. You are indeed fortunate, since most have been fished out of western pacific waters, killed as bycatch on longliners for tuna or killed for fins for shark fin soup.

What does your dive program do to raise awareness about these issues?
Watch Sharks: Stewards of the Reef, or go to the web site and learn about shark populations. Raise awareness.

Shark saver

See the film, and learn the threats, and what we can do to conserve sharks.

www.sharkstewards.com

jagfish:
Hey Doug!
Great news...I thought the hammers only ran down there in Feb. I didn't know you had another season.

Still have to get down there for that...

The sharks are in Jan-Mar, he chose to dig up an old thread. But just about in time for the next trip planning to start.

We survived the typhoon fairly intact has it hit you guys up there yet?

It's due to hit us tomorrow, that was the latest info I got a few hours ago. Scuppered diving plans for this weekend! Hope the damage isn't too severe down your way and nobody got killed or hurt.

japan-diver:
The sharks are in Jan-Mar, he chose to dig up an old thread. But just about in time for the next trip planning to start.

We survived the typhoon fairly intact has it hit you guys up there yet?
LOL...I didn't even look at the date.

Typhoon...I hope I can get to the pool tomorrow....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom