Sharks in Noumea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harmony

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all,

I just thought that I would like to share a short video which was filmed by one of our customers Sunday morning. I saw the same school of grey reef sharks Saturday. There were definietly more than a hundred sharks. Great dives! To top it off, we spent our surface interval with three humpback whales. :D

YouTube - Plongée Dumbea 30 Aout 2009 008

Hey Anabella, I'm just surfacing from my South Pacific trip.
Probably I'll write some report down here and post some photos one of these days.

Amazing video... but why weren't they here, end of July! is that usual schooling for grey reefs during winter?

Hi Anabella:

Wow, that is amazing footage. It seems so peaceful in the middle of that armada of sharks. Your customer has some pretty good nerves. His breathing is pretty controled.

Luko:

How did the "Home Coming" turn out? What did you think of the changes that have occured since you left the "Caillou?" Did they take you by surprise and were you able to find your way around? I remember it took me about 2-3 days before it all started coming back and I could travel without looking at a map.

Claude

Last edited:
Hello Claude & Luke,

Actually, I think that the sharks are there most of the time. Sometimes they are deeper and of course they like the incoming current like last week-end. I saw them on Saturday at around 25 meters but on Sunday there were a lot of divers in the water and they went deeper. Gil saw them and was determined to get a photo so he went after them. He filmed them at 45 meters and he had to stop because they were going deeper. I am afraid that is the effect of the divers. They are really not frightening, just fascinating! Saturday, we just hung onto the rocks and watched them. Some of them were passing us at a distance of less than 15 meters. We see a lot of sharks here. July is normally a good month but I guess it is just luck. On Saturday we had one of those really incredible dives that happen now and then. Not just the sharks, there were eagle rays, spanish mackerals, maori wrasse, etc and then the whales. I guess I must have been really well behaved lately and that was my reward!:D

Back
Top Bottom