Sharks in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The second dive I had on Grand cayman, (north wall) we saw a hammerhead. I sat back and watched. It was pretty cool. when we surfaced, the dive guide was going hystarical about what he saw. It was then that I realized that maybe it was a pretty significant sighting. Anyway, that's my favorite place to dive and between the turtles. stink ray, eagle ray, and other cool wildlife. you won't be disappointed....... I'm going agian in April.

You are almost guaranteed to see reef sharks if you dive the wall at Cumber's Caves/Bus Stop in Little Cayman nowadays esp. in the afternoon.

I agree with the above posters that seeing a shark in Grand Cayman is pretty rare. In about 250 dives there, I've probably seen 8-14 nurse sharks and two hammerheads (and was with a group that swore they saw a bull shark). I recommend asking at the dive shops there. I've seen at least two or three nurse sharks shore-diving at Don Foster's, and one was only in 6 feet. The staff there tended to know when there were multiple recent sitings.

Perhaps more important than the dive site is knowing where to look for them. I always like to check under all the little ledges that tend to be perfect nurse shark habitats and a couple times I've gotten lucky. Your dive masters will do this too, especially if you mention that you'd love to see a shark.

I'd advise being more prepped for seeing Southern stingrays and turtles in the category of "big" stuff. Chances of those are much higher in Grand Cayman.

Regardless, I'm sure you will have a blast! Happy diving.

Though not as frequent as in the past, we've been seeing them occasionally out on East End. Ocean Frontiers folks and others posted about a few recently on the Sharks & Cetaceans: The Cayman Islands group on FB. You might want to check it out for current activity.

That said, if you really want to see a lot of shark activity, there are other locations that would provide more sure sightings. Still, I think you'll find a lot to enjoy in Cayman. Have fun!

I've lived on Grand Cayman for almost 2 years and am in the water almost 2x a day. I've seen one shark, a nurse, snorkeling! Never even diving. I'm ready to bait lol... I'm headed to the Sister Islands for some shark viewing soon B-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom