Shark Week (on TV that is...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kriterian

Reaction score
It's that time of the year again... Discovery Channel's "Shark Week" is almost upon us. I know it's a controversial topic, but this year starting at 9pm EST on July 17th, it sounds like it could be an interesting show: Mythbusters Jaws Special It's apparently an entire show of Mythbusters devoted to debunking (or proving) shark myths.

Hey, I always watch. Even if it is a buch of hooey! Last year they started off with the DUI drysuit model who got lost.

I wonder if Mythbusters will try and blow up a AL80 while in a sharks mouth...flash back to Jaws.

crpntr133:
I wonder if Mythbusters will try and blow up a AL80 while in a sharks mouth...flash back to Jaws.

That would be cool but we've all seen the videos by now of what would really happen.

These are some of the myths overheard in the commercial, but I'm not 100% sure if all of them will be tested:

• Sharks are attracted to one color over another

[*]
    Sharks can smell one drop of blood per million parts water and/or miles away.
  • Bumping a shark in the nose is the best way to scare it away.
  • A shark can sink a boat by itself.

Hmm, that's all I can remember right now off the top of my head. More to follow if I think of them or see the commercial again.

PhotoTJ:
Hey, I always watch. Even if it is a buch of hooey! Last year they started off with the DUI drysuit model who got lost.

Dude, she is a friend of mine and would dive circles around you...

Flashback to WhalerKyle's expeirment...

I heard the commercial today. Am I hallucinating or did they really say they were going to shoot a SCUBA tank? I swear I heard them say that!

I always tune in to Shark Week. Last week I again watched "Anatomy of a Shark Bite" that I TEVO'ed last year. Some surreal footage in that show.

What ever happened with the AL80 experiment anyway???? Or maybe he haven't heard back because...........

They did, and they posted a video on it. Search for it, it's here somewhere.

jetfixer:
I heard the commercial today. Am I hallucinating or did they really say they were going to shoot a SCUBA tank? I swear I heard them say that!

As much as I love Mythbusters and the Discovery Channel, doesn't shark week cause unneccesary panic and publicit that's bad for both sharks and the dive ops that rely on sharks for buissness?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom