"Shark Shield"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NGT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone out there have any experience with the Shark Shield Freedom Unit?

I was wondering if it really works or if it's just a gimmick (an expensive one at $400+). :sharks:

Welcome to the board.
Gimmick or not it really does not make much sence for 99.9% of all divers. Unwanted shark encounters are very rare for divers and dangerous encounters are even rarer. Unless you are spearfishing or doing some other activity that is of great interest to sharks you are fairly unlikely to even see one up close. A glimse of one in the distance is all many divers ever see of sharks. Most divers eventually want to see sharks and many travel to places for that specific reason. We often see sand tigers here on the NC coast and divers come from all over to see them. They unlike most other sharks don't seem to pay any attention at all to divers, they act like we are not there, coming within several feet at times but I am unaware of anyone being threatened or hurt by one. Forget about sharks and consider it a privilage if you get lucky enough to see one. Damsel fish are another matter, if they got a little bit bigger, I would be afraid to dive. :)

think its a gimmick, they only annoy the sharks

I'm more afraid of clown fish. I've never liked clowns since that disastrous circus experience when I was young.

Thanks for your responses. I found this old thread on this subject after I posted.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=35064

I have a saltwater aquarium and have had damsel fish and clowns. I know how nasty they can be for their size. If they could grow as big as sharks I wouldn't go in the water either. :11:

I have heard from several divers who claim to have had success using these gizmos. Most divers don't need to worry about sharks, but it's different when you're spear fishing & that's what these guys use it for.

This past summer, we were viciously attacked by a male Garibaldi (Damselfish) guarding its nest. He was totally nuts ... making these crazy kamikaze runs ... crashing into us ... nipping anything it could get a hold of. I’ll tell you, that was one bad @$$ fish. We luckily escaped with our lives, but my camera housing still bears his marks today and serves as a grim reminder of the harrowing experience. A Garibaldi Shield would have been invaluable on that day. :05:

Here's that crazy SOB. Just look at those eyes ... that's the look of a mad man :scared:

Ya A friend of mine came up with 2 bloody ear lobes. I didn't see the fish, but did see the damage. He said it was a damsel. I just couldn't stop laughing. He got his butt kicked by a 3" fish. I swim away like a scared school girl when i see 'em!:05:

That's so funny guys...and to think I was more worried about sharks.

Wayward Son:
I have heard from several divers who claim to have had success using these gizmos. Most divers don't need to worry about sharks, but it's different when you're spear fishing & that's what these guys use it for.

Is this because the sharks are attracted to your catch?

Seriously though, what do you do when an aggressive shark is coming right at you? I know it is probably a rare occurrence, but suppose it does...Do you freeze??? Do you try to punch it in the snout???

Anybody out there ever punch a shark??:jaws:

Back
Top Bottom