Shark Shield eSPEAR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MZPT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing one of these after being confronted by a very interested bull shark when I was taking photographs, I was less interested in her and wanted her to go away. Can anyone who has used a SharkShield, specifically the eSPEAR give me any insight to their effectiveness? I know the SharkShield Freedom is highly rated, and this uses the same technology so I assume that it would work in the same fashion. I have been trying to find more data on the eSPEAR, but the product itself is newish and before my husband learns spearfishing, I would like to be able to offer some protection from sharks while he hunts and I am on the lookout.

Thank you

I added a photo to show how close she was.
IMG_4795.JPG
IMG_4796.JPG

You'll have a smaller electrical field than the Freedom7, but the tech works the same. Downside is it would be easier to drop or get lost compared to the 7 which is mechanically attached to you.

Nevertheless, it should be enough to allow you the opportunity to get out of the water if you have a shark that has taken an excessive interest in you.

I don’t have an eSpear, but did get a Freedom7 late last year. I’ve worn it several times this year. On one recent dive, my buddy got a look at how it worked. He saw a shark heading in our general direction, then abruptly changing direction and leaving quickly. I never saw the shark.

I am thinking of purchasing one of these after being confronted by a very interested bull shark when I was taking photographs, I was less interested in her and wanted her to go away.
Bull sharks tend to be very 'Territorial '. That can be both good and bad. In Jupiter Fl, we have alot of Bulls, but we also 'drift dive'. If we stay on one spot near the floor, even without dead fish on us (like you said), the bulls will keep pestering us until we leave their territory. They see us as competition for their food (even not spearing) and just want us gone. They will usually just circle and not get even close enough for a decent photo, but bulls don't always play by the rules. On the other hand, if I am carrying dead lionfish and drifting, the bulls usually will only follow me about 2/10th's of a mile (15minutes) and they will turn back to their home spot. Diving on a wreck/pinnacle where you can't move 2/10ths off means you need to either surface and find a new spot or pick your argument because he's not leaving and probably going to gang up on you with his buddies. And like arguing with your spouse, no one wins.

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing one of these after being confronted by a very interested bull shark when I was taking photographs, I was less interested in her and wanted her to go away. Can anyone who has used a SharkShield, specifically the eSPEAR give me any insight to their effectiveness? I know the SharkShield Freedom is highly rated, and this uses the same technology so I assume that it would work in the same fashion. I have been trying to find more data on the eSPEAR, but the product itself is newish and before my husband learns spearfishing, I would like to be able to offer some protection from sharks while he hunts and I am on the lookout.
Did you get the eSpear? If so, how do you like it?

I'm here been trying to strain my brain and after dozens of dives cannot remember
the last time I saw sharks waiting till high noon, before coming out all guns blazing

ocean-guardian-espear-SP1000AOB--7893_std__47266.jpg

Very sexy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom