Shark on the Menu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nelsondejesus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today, June 26, 2011, after hearing the sunday mass, had dinner at Pancake House-President Ave BF Homes. I then noticed that there was a new restaurant across named "Sili" and when we checked out their menu, noticed that they are serving "kinunot na pating." I then clarified with the waiter as to whether they are indeed serving "pating" or shark, who then affirmed that it was one of their specialties. The owners of the restaurant, a young couple who happened to be seated outside at the veranda, explained that what they are using for the said viand are just juvenile or small sharks.

So finally, instead of just slicing off the tail and the fins (to be used for shark's fin soup), and throwing away the rest of the carcass, there is a restaurant that already serves shark meat to its customers. But with the shark population having reached a very critical stage nearer to extinction, Don't we think that it is high time to protect such species and allow them to re-populate and propagate first before subjecting them for human consumption?

Also, just wondering if there are other local restaurants serving shark meat to its customers?

I've seen numerous restaurants in Manila that sell shark meat and shark fin soup. I boycott them all. On several occasions I have walked out of a restaurant after seeing shark products on the menu.

The need for shark conservation is beyond question. It's a very high profile issue internationally, but - sadly - education about this issue has not been widely propogated in the Philippines.

There are also many Chinoy restaurants in Cebu that sell Shark Fin soup. What was suppose to be an exotic delicacy is now sold in quick add water minute cups at even gas station convience stores.

Go to most any wet market and you can find ADOBONG TAKLOBO ( Tridacna gigas or Giant Clam ). Populations are diminishing quickly and the giant clam has become extinct in many areas where it was once common.

I have a natural Tridacna gigas sanctuary in the coral gardens fronting my beach property, but it is sad I am seeing more and more dead empty shells. A sign the reef is not healthy. :(

I was with a group of Pinoy divers one time, we seen a Tridacna gigas, so I thought it would be a good idea to pick it up and bring inside the sanctuary markers. Instead one of the other divers picked it up and took it back to the boat. Once on the boat I asked him why he took it. He said "He was hungry and giant clams taste really good".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom