Shark in the GBR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i94petst

New
Reaction score
I have been diving quite a lot and have seen so many colorful corals, but frankly, seeing the corals or even larger fish never match up to the excitement of seeing sharks (in my opinion). Can I count on seeing at least a few reef sharks if I go on a 3 day liveaboard trip to the cod hole and the ribbon reef in december 2004?

Also, are the cod hole and the ribbon reef destinations really as good as they sound, or are everyone saying they're good only because they're the only sites people go to? I really don't want to go across the planet to see some corals, no matter how colorful.

If you can get out to Osprey Reef, there are sharks, but generally that is a 4-5 day liveaboard minimum, and the rest of the sites are pretty coral with lots of little fish but not that many big fish. Lots of little white tipped reef sharks, but not much more than that generally. If you want to do shark diving there are much better places in Aus and outside to go.

Cod hole is OK - nice dive but basically if you are on a liveaboard there will most likely be a lot of divers in a relatively small space and not that many cod! I loved some of the other reefs - pixies pinnacle and steves bommie spring to mind as having outstanding coral and fish life, but if you are a bit over coral reefs i suggest you don't go to the GBR, as there is very little else there - you could try some areas like PNG or Vanuatu that have more varied divesites (wrecks, as well as reefs), or areas that are better known for big fish, or go out of Townsville rather than Cairns - you will see some reefs (although not the far north ones) and most likely the wreck of the Yongala. I enjoyed a 4 day liveaboard to the Cod Hole etc, but the sameiness of the divesites led to me wishing i had done a shorter or more varied trip, and there are limited options for doing the latter on the GBR.

Cod Hole was an awesome dive, the cod are secondary to the colorful and huge reef. Cod Hole is also where we saw the most sharks during that trip. We saw a few white tips, a grey shark, and two leopard sharks. Cod Hole covers a huge area... when I dove there with Spirit of Freedom, there were about 20 of us diving but there was A LOT of room underwater. It was not crowded at all because the reef is so spread out. There were about 8-12 cods all floating stationary far from eachother.

You should see a few white tip reef sharks at least, they're often just hanging around on the sand. Like Roz I also like Pixies Pinnacle and Steve's Bommie and there were white tips there too lounging about at the bottom.

If you night dive you have a better chance of seeing them in action. Shine your torch up along the top of the reef and look for the green glow of shark eyes

I also heard that you may see a lot of sharks on the Western Aust. side. Off Exmouth. Not so many divers. But not so sure when is the best time to go. As long as keep in mind that winter in north hemisphere is summer in Australia.

You can never count on seeing a particular animal, but I saw many white tips on the drift dive at Trigger Fish City in the Agincourt Reef system.

Osprey is def the place for sharks. Next on my list. I've done the Coolidge in Vanuatu. Great wreck dive but no sharks. You'll see some reef sharks the Ribbons. I think the Cod Hole was a really delightful dive. Even without the cod it would be a remarkable gem. Minke report here.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t62663.html

Back
Top Bottom