Shark Identification - can you help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mishelle

Reaction score
One of my former students caught this shark off the coast of Boca Grande, Florida (Gulf of Mexico). Anyone know what kind of shark it is? I thought it looked a great deal like a grey reef shark with the nose, placement of its nostrils and coloring. But I am not 100% certain.

Please answer only if you are 100% certain. Your help would be much appreciated!! Thanks!:D

What shark?

ummm sometimes a picture helps with the Id of some things,,, and this would be one of those things

*Blonde moment* My only excuse is that it was 5ish in the am!! SORRY!

I think I got it now:

Attachments

• shark1.JPG
    shark1.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 308
Do you have a recommendation to a web site that would be give them more information on Sandbar sharks? And yes, I am aware you can Google it, but not everything you find on the net is accurate :p Thank you again for your help.

well I kinda got it narrowed down to either a dusky,or a sand bar but without seeing teeth or a profile kinda hard...not a professional at Id 'ing here...but let me see if i can find some sitesfor ya

There are several species of small shark in that area that go by the common name "Dogfish" or "Sand Shark" (Dogfish is the "official" common name - they are not the shark with the "official" common name of "sand shark," which is a local moniker for the dogfish)
I think this is one of 'em, probably Squalus acanthias or Mustelus canis.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom