shark finning at cocos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island Hoppa

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
just wondering if shark finning is permitted in or around cocos island. i know that recent legislation in the galapagos has practically re-allowed it (local government in ecuador should all be prosecuted and hung those crooked *******ers) just wondering about how cocos island is doing. you probably guessed that from my dialogue i am not a fan of shark finning. i see the devastation it has done in Asia and would hate to see it destroy the beautiful eco systems off of south america. i think it is one of the main reasons are oceans are in such decline. anyway any input on the cocos thing would be great. also shoot your concerns, and feelings about shark finning not just off south america but globally. thanks everyone and dive safe.

I have no idea but my opinion of shark finning is pretty simple, it's an abhorrent practice and I am not sure how long the world's ocean ecology can tolerate this.

While diving there in 2001, I spoke to the rangers at length about their ability to enforce marine protections at Cocos. Basically, their principal role is to collect mooring fees from liveaboards.

With only 2-3 rangers on site at any one time and an arsenal consisting of one .45 auto pistol and and an aging M-1 Garand rifle, they do not exactly intimidate illegal fishing vessels.

Shortly after diving in the Socorro Islands the following year, a group of 7 illegal boats (Mexican registries) decimated the shark population there by harvesting over 4500 individuals, including numerous giant mantas. Although these poaching activities were videotaped and reported to authorities, I don't believe any prosecutions resulted.

Galapagos has significant poaching by Ecudorian, Peruvian, and Mexican vessels. The govt is essentiall contemptuous of efforts to protect marine life there.

Greed, corruption, and indifference greatly overwhelm any ecological concerns on this issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom