Shark Dive Polynesian style - at Fiji Beqa Lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juergen_187

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Quite a stunning experience these two dives were! Bull sharks in nearly touching distance, and what a frenzy we witnessed later...

So this is my homage to Fiji, to its underwater world and its culture, too.

Thanks for watching!

WOW ! those Bull were at real close distance

Yeah, they were, but not for a second I sensed danger. It felt surprisingly relaxed yet exciting!

reminds me of our trip to Alaska. We are sitting on the river bed and a 800# grizzly comes down the bank strolling the river bed. The guide said sit still and let it go by , he is looking for fish-Salmon. YEAH! right !!!!.. almost poop in my pants when the bear walked 25ft from my son and I ....

Great vid! Just to clarify Fiji is in Melanesia and not Polynesia

Took me all week when we were there to talk my wife into doing that shark dive. Now she's glad she did it. We had 3 huge Tiger sharks around us along with Bull and Blacktips. But like you, we never felt like we were in danger.

Took me all week when we were there to talk my wife into doing that shark dive. Now she's glad she did it. We had 3 huge Tiger sharks around us along with Bull and Blacktips. But like you, we never felt like we were in danger.

Unfortunately, when in close proximity to large predators, we are not the ones that decide if we are in danger.

That is correct. And perhaps I should have clarified that I was referring to how well run he shark dive is run and that there are several "guides" standing guard behind the spectators with long shepard's staffs to ward off any sharks coming from behind us to make sure it is as safe as possible. When we were there last September they told us they had never had a guest bitten in the 17 years they had been doing the shark dive.

Unfortunately, when in close proximity to large predators, we are not the ones that decide if we are in danger.

I agree. Someone might feel that they are comfortable with the danger a particular situation presents. However in this case, to say that they "sensed no danger" as these dangerous sharks swim and actively feed close to them seems a little "naive" to me.

I think hand feeding large predators on land (and in the sea) is something that should not be elevated to "recreational status".

Wow... that looked incredible. Ethics aside, I am amazed that someone would even be willing to hold a big chunk of fish in front of a shark's mouth for them to take from their hand!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom