Shark attack fatality - Fraser Island, Queensland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Fraser Island shark attack: Scuba diver killed by shark off Queensland coast
A 20-year-old scuba diver has died after being bitten by a shark off Queensland's Fraser Island.
Paramedics were called to the location off Indian Head just after 2pm today.
A doctor and paramedic were winched down from the RACQ Lifeflight Rescue helicopter to render aid to the man, who had suffered significant injuries to his leg from the attack.
Despite working to save the man for over an hour, he could not be saved and died at the scene.
The man's body was taken to the mainland by the RACQ chopper and a report will now be made by the coroner.

This report says he was 36 years old and spearfishing...
Man killed in shark attack off Fraser Island

Oh dear

The poor bloke was my age and from my area, I feel for his family.

There is a massive amount of sharks on the Qld coast at the moment following the annual humpback whale migration.
He was reportedly spearfishing in the middle of the migration route. The below image was shot at the next headland south of the bite site a few weeks ago.
The shallow looking shark at the front appears to be a 4+ meter Great white and the rest very large whalers.
I love spear fishing but it is a risky sport and one that is not to be taken lightly. The visibility appears to be excellent in this area at the moment.

upload_2020-7-5_15-49-4.png

upload_2020-7-5_15-45-0.png

In Australia, he wouldn't be spearfishing (legally) on SCUBA. Spearfishing is done by free divers.

The above statement is not entirely correct - spearfishing can be done while using scuba (and surface-supplied) in both Tasmania and Western Australia subject to regulations in force in those states which may prohibit the hunting of particular species and may prohibit spearfishing in some parts of the waters of those states.

In the case of Queensland, divers wishing to catch "fish" (i.e. both vertebrate and invertebrate animals) can only do so by breath-hold diving - please refer sub-heading 'Breathing devices' in the following link - Fishing equipment.

They claim that "They usually aren’t found in shallow waters. When they exist in inlets, they are in water that is at least 100 meters deep."
I don't know about that. Our experience was they are bold, inquisitive sharks, and would come and investigate divers doing a safety stop on the deco bar under the boat in 15-20m of water around Sydney Harbour Heads. I'm not a spear-fisher, but my spearo friends would talk about being hassled by "bronzies."

I'm no shark expert but Bronze Whalers have a fairly distinctive copper / bronze colouring, which you can see clearly when they are near the surface.

I use the term "whaler" loosely. It may also be a bit of an aussie colloquial slang term.
To me it translates to a large shark that is not easily identified such as a Great white, Tiger or Grey Nurse.
Some of the whaler family are so close in description you have no chance to tell them apart unless well trained i.e dusky vs silky.
The ones pictured above would most likely be Bull sharks but who knows for sure.

Back
Top Bottom