Shark and whale diving in Baja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nofinsdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been reading a lot on the net (web + operators ) about there being tons of whale sharks now, and that this is the season to watch them. I'm not sure how authentic the information is; can somebody please give me a realistic picture of what the situation is? Also looking for good dive spots on the pacific side of Baja, or relatively closer to the US. It would be great if someone could respond in the next couple of days because that's when we're planning on making the long drive from LA.

This fall, I'll be working with an operator who has had great success over the last several years with whale shark trips in the Gulf of California. She runs trips to Bahia de Los Angeles.

-AZTinman

You can 100% see whale sharks in La Paz between October 1st and April 30th. This is no joke, I have run over 100 trips this season and we have never seen less than three and up to 30 in one two hour trip.

The whale sharks migrate between Bahia de Los Angeles and the Bay of La Paz.
The whale shark watching season in La Paz ends April 30th. This is a rule and not due to the presence of the whale sharks.
I don't know about the season in Bahia de los angeles but as far as i know it's a summer time thing there.

The Bahia de Los Angeles operator I was referencing is one of my dive partners. She schedules her trips in late July and early fall. She's had great success in getting clients hooked-up with whale sharks and whales. Guess we'll see how she does this year when I go along.

-AZTinman

Back
Top Bottom