Sharing the pleasure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am wondering if any one else would be interested in sharing “cheer up” events.

Today I read a thread that happened last month that will make me ‘feel good’ for quite some time. I thought it would be nice if there was somewhere for others to share such good events so anyone could read hopefully many pages of positive ‘stuff’. While diving related would be good, perhaps any good thought to lighten a low mood would be welcome.

I thought each entry would not particularly need any further response from readers, other than sharing additional events and/or observations. And to keep the positive note we could leave out the unpleasant aspects, concentrating on the good things.

That thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=93586 is an exceptional warm fuzzy generator. (I’m sorry I’m unable to figure out how to make the hyperlink work as I’ve seen others do).

I will share my most recent ‘good thing’ to start off. Mine does not compare to the above thread and is more of an example. I will leave out the simpleminded nature of Mourning Doves in general and the high prey drive of my miniature lion.

Yesterday I rescued an apparently exhausted, quite likely terrified and in questionable health Mourning Dove. Outside in the shade I made sort of a shelter with a towel and lid of fresh water close enough to get it’s beak into, and hoped for the best. After an hour or so, to my delight it flew out and away, up into a papaya tree and began to eat. This morning I hoped it was one of those so pleasantly greeting my awakening.

Ok, I have two to relate.

I became a firm believer in angels in the Fall of 1994. I was unemployed and running out of funds quickly. My kids were in catholic school at the time, I was two months behind on the tuition payments and didn't know how I was going to make the next car payment.

Now anyone who has had their kids in catholic school knows that you have to do fund raisers. Our church did a raffle every year. You had to sign up with your kids for at least one four hour session of selling raffle tickets in front of the grocery store or pay a special assessment. Of course, I signed up!

$2 per ticket, or 3 for $5. We managed to sell a decent number of tickets and on each one of them I would alternate writing Billy or Jessica as the name of the seller, since the seller of the winning ticket won $200. It was getting late, one gentleman said that he would take the 3 for $5. When I attempted to give him the clipboard to fill in the ticket, he said, "I never win these things. Just fill your kids names in." I smiled and we did.

Two weeks later, sitting totally despondent, and drinking my friends beer at the back of the hall during the fish fry, the priest drew the winning tickets. I hadn't bought one single ticket (remember I was mooching beer). There was a shriek at the front of the room. My kids had won not only the $200 for selling the winning ticket, but also the $5000 main prize. I paid off their tuition and was fortunate to start a new job about a week later.

I never got his name. I never got to thank him. But I do believe in angels.
When you really need them, they'll be there for you too.

The second one happened today.
I do believe that Angels come disguised as ordinary people.

I had a pretty lousy day. I won't trouble you with the personal details but there are a lot of lousy things happening in my life all at the same time. And I have a stressful job that just exacerbates it. I stopped in the gas station convenience store to pick up a few items. I came out and got in my car. These two men yelled over to me that they were sorry, they're men and they apologized for what they said. Could I forgive them for being pigs? LOL, I told them I had not heard what they said. They told me that I was the most beautiful woman they have seen in Florida or Ohio. (They were from Florida.) I laughed and asked them if they were adjusting well to getting their eyesight back after being blind for so long.

I was looking down finishing scratching off my lottery ticket. (See a trend here? Remember, I'd had a lousy day.) I looked up and one of them was approaching the car. He thanked me for making their day (imagine that??) and handed me a red carnation and some petite white roses he had just purchased in the convenience store.

I had gone from having a lousy day, to getting a nice compliment from a stranger. An angel, just when I needed one. It wasn't anything huge, it wasn't remarkable, but it made me smile on a day when I didn't think it would be possible.

Today's angels wore not-so-clean white t-shirts, jeans and drove a white '91 Dodge Caravan. Amazing. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom