[SHARING & Question] :) Just got certified newbie. Whats next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birgovi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
(Hopefully im not posting this in the wrong subforum)

Hi, I'm 25yo local Indonesian from Jakarta and recently got my OW certification from PADI with Blue Marlin Dive - Gili Trawangan. I first started out diving 2-3 weeks ago when I visit Gili and right after my scuba fun dive (i forgot what they call this again) I fell in love right away and come back to Blue Marlin for my certification within the 30days timeframe after my first dive.

I finished my course yesterday -- still on the island -- and im heading back to my daily routine later on (I'm heading to Sumbawa this morning). I would love to do more dive again soon and my question is --- Whats the best way to "enjoy" this more?

I'm very interested to do advanced course but at the moment due to financial reason, I cant have everything in one go. From what I read online, you'll see more and get more underwater beauty as you go a bit deeper (other group that go with the same boat as us saw sharks around 26m)

-- Should I get my advanced first?

If yes.
Do you think it'll be better if I take the advanced dive certification from Jakarta and then go places
--OR--
go places and get certified for advanced?

I ask this because I've read dozens of ppl saying that going around Jakarta (lets say Pulau Seribu - Thousand Island) isn't really worth it. Visibility not good, too much dead corals etc. But on the other hand it'll be cheaper as I dont need flight tickets to get there and once I get my certification I can maximize my time during my diving trip somewhere else the next time (planning RA sometimes this year/january).
--OR--
Go places and get certified for advanced -- When I mention "go places" I mean, I would love to come back to Blue Marlin here in Gili do the advanced (I noticed that I can also join night dive) but from my experience with my OW; We do a lot of technical stuff as we dive too so it cuts down quite a time to enjoy when under the water which is sad because it was gorgeous down there. I'm "worried" as im doing advanced, there'll be more stuff to do and less less time to enjoy.

If not.
Suggestions?

Regards,
D.

I'm not Indonesian, so I can't comment on your specific questions about places. But I will tell you that, on our trip to Indonesia, I thought some of the most beautiful things we saw were on the tops of the reefs, in 15 feet of water or so. And in Lembeh, which is one of the most amazing places in the world to dive, almost all our dives were within the 60 foot depth limit of open water divers.

You don't have to go deep to see cool stuff, not at all.

The Advance course is easy to get during a regular trip at almost any destination but being an advanced diver means getting certification AND experience. Why not get that on cheaper weekend dives around Seribu and Krakatoa? You will appreciate diving more when you dive in places and and find critters that are not spoon-fed to you. You will become a better diver too with the additional experience in different environments.

Thanks for the replies. I've done more research some more calculations and I think I'm gonna take my advanced again after I visit sumbawa back in Gili before heading back to Jakarta. Hope the experience will get me to much more amazing places later on. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom