sharing photos for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aLittletank

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
These are shots from our trip to the Great Barrier Reef earlier this month.

Feel free to give advice, just remember I am a beginer. :)

IMG_6741red.jpg

IMG_6829cropped.jpg

IMG_6850cropped.jpg

IMG_6813red.jpg

A couple shots from above the water
my wife at Millaa Millaa Falls
P4060217.jpg

our son with a Wallaby (photo by my wife)
P4030259.jpg

good pics, BTW, what camera & setup were you using...reason I ask is I just jumped from 35mm UW to digital UW & trying to get as many pointers in as possible.....thanks.......

I like all of them but the first one. The blown highlights really distract me from the wall in the first shot.

The colors in the fourth shot are especially lovely. You captured the blue of the water and retained a very natural look to the coral.

The shots of your family are terrific pictures. The Cuttlefish is nice, I'd adjust the Nudi in Photoshop to reduce the contrast on the white sand and bring out the color a bit more. The shot looking across the reef is your best UW pic. The Sunburst needed different camera settings, probably waaay less exposure time or higher f-stop. If you did either of those, I think you could have brought out the reef in the foreground with your strobe.

undefined:
I like all of them but the first one. The blown highlights really distract me from the wall in the first shot.

The colors in the fourth shot are especially lovely. You captured the blue of the water and retained a very natural look to the coral.

thanks for the feedback. I really like the "idea" of the first pic more than the results of the picture its self.

Larry C:
The shots of your family are terrific pictures. The Cuttlefish is nice, I'd adjust the Nudi in Photoshop to reduce the contrast on the white sand and bring out the color a bit more. The shot looking across the reef is your best UW pic. The Sunburst needed different camera settings, probably waaay less exposure time or higher f-stop. If you did either of those, I think you could have brought out the reef in the foreground with your strobe.

The Nudi is actually a giant clam. I wish I would have positioned myself lower. It would have been better to get some of the shell. I focused on the colors of the clam mantle which are beautiful. In the end the picture doesnt tell the whole story of what was there.

Thanks for the advice on improving the sunburst shot up the wall. I think I lost a opportunity for a great shot because I dont understand F-stop and shutter speed adjustments. Any recommended reading regarding F-stop and shutter speed?

This was my first dive with a camera so I hope to build on this and get better. :wink:

Allen

Faster shutter speed will prevent blur by stopping any camera or subject movement. It will also darken your whole picture. That shot suffers from too much light in the distance, because you're aiming right into the sun, and the surface is brightly lit. The foreground is well lit, because it is closer to the camera in deeper water with less light. By upping your shutter speed, you will make the whole picture darker. This will improve the overlit distance, but cause a dark foreground. You can add light to the foreground with your strobe to make up for this. Higher f-stop (f8,f11,f22 etc., varying with what your camera is capable of) will do the same thing by decreasing the size of the shutter opening. Generally, this will cause a dark background with a well lit foreground where your strobe is aimed. A side effect is increased depth of field. A wide open lens will blur at all but the correct focal length. A small shutter opening gives a wider range of focal length. This can help on macro shots, where you're really close to the subject. If I'm being a complete idiot and have this all backwards, I'm sure one of our photo pros who is lurking will correct me.
BTW, I should have noticed the clamshell! Being closer always helps because the color is better. Everything turns blue in the distance.

Regards the sunburst shot, one other thought is that you could put the sun just edging into the top left rather than capturing the whole sun.

Bit like this: -

Jellyfish3.jpg

This way, you'd get the rays you want, but without the sun itself. Bear in mind that using the techniques advised above, you can get a nice effect, but the sun is - quite simply - very, very, very bright. You can dial it down all you like and reduce the brilliance, but this also massively reduces the effect of the ambient light around it, so the rest of the pic's dark.

Try putting something in front of the sun, as well: -

Jellyfish1.jpg

By the way, looks like we have very similar set-ups. I have the Digital Rebel 350D, Ike housing and DS125 strobes.

Back
Top Bottom