Sharing bits between singles & doubles rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm new to the BP/W world. I know the Eclipse is made for singles. If I put a doubles wing on it, does it become the same as the Evolve? Is the wing the only difference?

That's one of the advantages of BP/Ws, right? That you can change components as necessary.

I don't own Halcyon gear myself. But, looking at the photos online, yeah the Eclipse and Evolve look to be standard backplate, standard wing, and standard harness. Which are 3 separate, modular pieces of equipment: part of the beauty of the BP/W system.

I use one 32-lb wing for single tank diving. I recently acquired a 44-lb wing for doubles. I intend to use the same exact harness and the same exact backplate for both. It's quite easy to swap out the wing, and many people disassemble the tanks from the wing and backplate anyway when they go in for a fill. So yes, I think you could buy one of these setups, and swap the wing out later to facilitate going from singles to doubles or vice versa.

By the way, some folks will say that you can dive a single tank with a doubles wing. Which is true, but it sucks. You're much better off with separate wings. There does not exist a wing which is appropriate for both singles and doubles diving, no matter what the marketing people tell you. I don't think Halcyon tries to market a product like this, but many of their competitors do.

Same plate, same harness, just switch wings as you need to. Eclipse and Evolve refer to the wings, not the entire set-up.

My back plate goes on everything, single, twins (doubles), CCR.

The wings are specific, I have a small wing for my single, my old wing for my twins, and the wing that came with the CCR.
Single cylinder adapter plate (with weight pockets), so the back plate will fit the single cylinder.

I have a single DIN (male), to twin DIN (female) adapter, so I can fit the reg's from the twins straight onto the single.

Different weight belts for the twins, single and CCR. So I don't ever forget the appropriate weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom