Share your recovery stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunk35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was talkin to a fellow swamper about doing some dive work for some lucky lake residents, and it got me to wondering how many of you do stuff for people? Do you charge them for your services?

Have you ever taken on something you had to back out of? Any dangerous situations arise that you didn't expect or consider?

Personally, I enjoy helping people check out cables, or find lost items or whatever. If they pay me, that's cool, I'll take it. If not, well, I got the chance to check out another dive spot.

It just feels cool to do something productive with my divetime.

I dove a canal once to recover stolen property. I was at my LDS when a guy came in asking about finding a commercial diver. Someone had broken into their house and ran off with an x-box, a bunch of games, some jewelry and an old pistol stuffed into a pillowcase.

Neighbor saw him, gave chase and the guy threw it in canal and ran. It was a relatively narrow, shallow canal, but viz was practically nil. I ran a search pattern from bank to bank and found the pillowcase after about an hour. Recovered everything but the gun. Went back a few days later with a metal detector and found the gun as well.

Myself and a few fellow divers from the SIS Shop when Debra and Troy were owners spent several days searching for the bottom half of a exspenive boat engine, no luck
:-( I know of one search company that does ok, but they do allot of misl. underwater mech. work to fill in.

I've salvaged boats, lifted boat hoists, etc, with the Sheriff's Dive Team, but recovery to me has a whole different meaning to me.

Not many folks here know, save Frank, our unit was called out at 6:00 am Saturday morning of Labor Day weekend to search for a woman that was missing.

We deployed 2 two-man teams, one doing radial patterns close to where the dogs had her entry point, and the other (partner and me) doing a contour search further east of the entry back to the other team.

I found her in 9-10 ffw and shot a surface marker. Quietly, the team removed her from the water. It took less than 30 minutes from the time we splashed. Sad as she had three children and other family members on site, just over the hill, out of sight, thankfully.

I dive because I love diving, I'm on the search and recovery team because I can give some rest and closure to family members....oh, we are a volenteer unit.

STT, thanks for the story. Talk about a tough call to go on.

I've thought about getting with some local law enforcement dive groups to see what I need to do to get trained for that type of diving. I'm still trying to decide how I would feel on that type of call.

I think for now, I'll stick to the easy stuff looking for dropped items or inspecting someone's dock connections.

I appreciate you posting that.

I've been queried several times about helping out the local fire dept. with search and recoveries (or more precisely, starting a SAR team after being provided with additional training), but I've consistently declined. It's not that I don't want to help, but our area lakes are truly "black out" diving with gel-like bottoms. It would take specialized gear that one would NOT want to use in any other diving (one would NEVER get the mud-and stench-out of that gear.)

However, on a lighter note, a buddy and I were once asked to find--no kidding--a guy's lost dental work. He hit the water hard off a tall platform and jarred it loose. We actually found it in one foot vis and about 12 feet of water. The bridgework was about $900 worth of porcelain and metal.
About the only other time we were requested to assist was a boat owner who needed his anchor retrieved. Only thing was the anchor was still attached to the boat! It was stuck and the family had been stranded far from shore in a lake for two hours. They didn't want to abandon the anchor and the 100 feet of chain attached to it. My partner and I unstuck it and helped haul it in (the owner had burned out his winch trying unsuccessfully to bring it up). The value of the chain and anchor together was over $700.
Of course, we didn't accept payment for either of these. It was just plain fun and a great chance for recreational divers to do something useful with our hobby.
Oh, and there was that one time on the Comal river when a fellow had lost his prescription glasses. Our whole group kept our eyes open for them and one of our party actually found them. Boy, was that fellow ever excited! (Jumped into the river to get them, clothes and all!)

As far as recovery goes I'm on Step # 4

That's the one where you do a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself......
So far I have not found anything so maybe I should just stick with Scuba diving
:D

Speaking of searches... Why aren't you and Rhonda going to Ouachita with us next week... It looks the regular band of repobates will be gathered and the AMish may need a ride to handle Firehouse chores... The van needs a roadtrip...

As far as recovery goes I'm on Step # 4

That's the one where you do a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself......
So far I have not found anything so maybe I should just stick with Scuba diving
:D
:rofl3:

Chucksaul: We would love to go to Lake Quachita with you guys, but both the boys have band stuff on Friday night, and Saturday. I've told Kory to go on and join up with one of you guys, and go, but now the inlaws may be coming in for that weekend, so he may be stuck here after all! He's still free to go if he wants to, but I think the boys might be upset if he misses their performances. However; If anyone is planning any trips on Friday October 30th, he is game!! We are having a bunch of 9 year old girls over for a slumber party! I know Kory and both boys will be trying to find somewhere, ANYWHERE else to go!

Rhonda

Found-
Anchors, boats, old cars, deckchairs, sunglasses, golf clubs.
Cleanup on the San Marcos included 55 Ga drum, batteries and trash
(sad the trash we throw in to the water.)
Pond- someone knocked in a box and the wife and I went in and fished it out.

Caution-
Fuel (gas, oil, diesel) can cause skin rashes, stain wetsuits and ruin a fun time.

Gross-
Boat docks, I inspected the hull of a boat for someone who was interested in buying it. Lots of body waste, oil, gross stuff. Start with the regulator in the mouth.
However, when people drop jewelry off of docks that makes you just shake your head.
(I think we should do a fall clean up dive at some of the party islands. I bet we could find some interesting things.)

Funny-
In Cozumel I was picking up trash just off the beach at Occidental Allegro. Armful of clear plastic cups, and a couple of beer cans. Had to return one of the beer cans as it had a crab using it as a home.

If you get a chance- crabs in glass bottles make great pictures.

Cost- free most of the time. However, if it is expensive or hard to replace a tip is accepted.

Lifting heavy objects is a bit of an art form.

Have fun...
Andrew

Back
Top Bottom