Shallow wreck Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajb

Reaction score
Hey, I posted a question the other day and kind of buried this as a second question. thought I'd come right out and ask...

We are traveling to Grand Cayman in July. My son, jow, is a wreck fanatic. any suggestions for shallow wrecks around Grand Cayman, shore or otherwise? Obviously not planning on penetrating.

Thanks again and thanks to Tom with Aggressor and Divetech staff for all the information about Grand Cayman so far!

Jim

The Cali - in Georgetown Harbor. Never dove it but I've heard it's a popular snorkel site so it must be shallow.

Less than 75 Yards out is the wreck of the Cali. A superb shore dive And snorkeling location The wreck is filled with tropical fish and the odd very large Tarpon.

Take advantage of Grand Cayman’s underwater beauty and dive or snorkel the Wreck of the Cali, an old freighter, 244 feet long that sunk right beside Georgetown Harbor. It is now in pieces and resting in 20-30 feet of crystal clear water. The ship’s ribs are exposed and scattered along the ocean floor and are now home to many species of beautiful sponges and wonderful fish life.

Just South of the wreck there is a lively coral reef with an abundance of friendly tropical fish. The Wreck of the Cali is an excellent location for teaching Resort Courses and is an ideal site for both divers and snorkelers alike.
There's also the Nicholson at Sunset House but it's in 50' so probably too deep. It's an old landing craft. I've been over it, it's not much too look at.

We dove the doc polson while we were there. It was great. We got some great photos as there were 2 beautiful angelfish that seemed to be residents . very photogenic. As far as wrecks , it was pretty basic and very safe.
I seem to remember there was a toilet in the wheelhouse that mades for another clasic photo op.

The INTACT wrecks in shallow water are the Doc Poulsen, and the Nicholson at Sunset House. The Cali, Oro Verde and Balboa wrecks are all in shallow water but are entirely broken up. And that's about it - GC is not known for wreck diving.

Thanks... I've heard over the last couple of weeks that GC wasn't a "haven" of shallow wrecks. Nonetheless, I would really like to throw him one just because he is so excited about them. I appreciate all the information and I'll definitely look into these!

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom