Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishstix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was diagnosed with focal emphysema. I don't want to risk getting an embolism or worse by diving again. But how much of a risk would it be to "dive" with scuba gear in water of 13 feet (4 meters) or less. I understand that Wakatobi's House Reef is 90% 6 feet of depth. I would rather use scuba gear than snorkel gear, so I can get better video footage. Are there any significant medical risks when diving at such shallow depths and low pressures for someone with focal emphysema?

Are there better shallow reefs than Wakatobi?

I would call DAN and see if they can help you with this. If you are able to shallow dive then try Blue Heron Bridge.....it's a lot closer than Indonesia

The largest proportional changes in pressure are in the first 20 feet. It's not absolute pressure that is your risk, it's gas trying to get out of emphysematous alveolar tissue as ambient pressure decreases.

If you have a prohibition against diving due to emphysema, the lung stress bobbing back and forth between six feet and the surface is much worse than repeatedly undulating between 74 and 80 feet during a deeper dive.

The question for your doctor is, "what is the nature of my restriction from diving due to emphysema? "

Diving Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom