Shade on pictures taken on DC500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Falco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A buddy of mine has a Sealife DC500 camera and while the pictures come out fine if they were taken withou the case, they have a big shaddy area on the bottom left. Does anybody know how to fixe this. Is this a known problem?

Here is an exemple.

Does he have the strobe or strobes?

I'd guess it's from the housing blocking the internal flash. He will need to compose with this in mind.

He may also want to move back a tad bit as he appears to be within the minimum focus distance and the shot isn't in focus.

pics taken without an external strobe do that because of a shadow created by the lens housing. Annoying but an external strobe fixes the problem

He does have an external strobe but it isn't fixed to the camera. He holds it with his other hand. Should he rig it to the camera body so it fixed to it?

I used to hand hold my Ike when I first got my initial Canon A series camera. Worked a treat - flash was triggered with a slave device so as long as the camera's flash reached it I had amazing flexibility.

Flexibility in your lighting is always better than rigidly fixed.

Looks like he is holding the strobe a little off. I would recommend hooking it to the camera. Otherwise, both his hands are busy while he is diving. If it is anchored to the camera you can review your pictures as you go so you can make adjustments with the strobe angle. Having a strobe link cable makes this much easier than just depending on the regular slave effect.

I'm betting he is using the internal flash without a diffuser. Most housing would come with a diffuser that goes in front of the internal flash and will spread the light around.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom